Logo

2.3 liter replacement with what

wmlaks

Regular Contributor
The engine blew in my boat 2 weeks ago and I am wanting to replace it. The 2.3 was underpowered so I want to repower with a 6 cylinder. The question I have is to replace it with another omc cobra or switch it to a merc. I have been told that the cobra and merc alpha use the same transom hole pattern I would also like to know if that statement is true. Thanks for any information or advice that you have to offer. Michael

I have been told that the cobra and merc alpha use the same transom hole pattern I would also like to know if that statement is true.

T. Better off with Mercruiser as OMC parts are getting harder to find.

The engine blew in my boat 2 weeks ago and I am wanting to replace it. The 2.3 was underpowered so I want to repower with a 6 cylinder. The question I have is to replace it with another omc cobra or switch it to a merc. I have been told that the cobra and merc alpha use the same transom hole pattern I would also like to know if that statement is true. Thanks for any information or advice that you have to offer. Michael

You can switch to merc, the keyholes are the same. I think you have to drill two holes for the merc. Either way you're gonna hafta replace the drive cuz of the gear ratio.

If you are pulling the whole drivetrain out of there, you can replace it with a Merc Alpha Gen 1 or Gen 2

4.3 is nice.
there was a nice new 2005 4.3MPI in stock at a marina near me I was drooling over.
220HP
complete carb to prop $8500
it sold fast

That's about half the new price.

As far as used stuff goes: I do not see it anymore. The SEI drive has just about disolved any population of Mercruiser parts boats.... except 470's ugh

of course if it runs now....

you'd be far better off to sell it and buy what you want.

Your boat probably has a 12 to 15 gallon fuel tank which is beyond annoying when you have a V6... two laps with the tube or skis and heading in for gas.

Over 175HP you really need power steering too with gimbal style drives

and wiring up gauges from OMC to Merc is not fun....

I have found a 165 inline six with an 888 drive that I am thinking about putting in the boat the fuel cell in my boat is a 20 gallon so I should not have trouble with running out of fuel after a couple of laps. Has anyone tried this conversion. Thanks Michael

I don't think the 888 drive is a proper match for the 1.65, but who knows what gears are inside...could be any ratio, including the 1.65 which is coincidentally correct for 165HP

The 165 Chevy 250 is certainly an engine with a good reputation and you can't dispute the Merc MC-1 drive's reputation.

As far as a conversion... what you would be doing is more of a repower.... strip everything out that is OMC, refit with everything Mercruiser.

my intentions were to swap everything to mercruiser. The main question is will I need to make any major changes to the transom for the repower.

The transom cutout will be identical, and the required thickness is the same Cobra or Merc.

OMC made their Cobra cutout exactly the same as merc, so boat manuf's could build hulls and then decide on brand of power train later.

thank you very much it looks like I have a nice project for this winter. IU hope to have better service out of the merc than I had with the 2.3 liter

Back