Logo

2.3 advanced timing?

cannonballkev

Contributing Member
Boat runs great, upgraded to electronic ignition last year. The problem im having is that after it runs for awile, and I turn it off, it takes a bit to get it started. Plugs are way more white than tan. If timing is adanced to far would it cause this problem?
Should timing be the same as when I had points?
Thanks in advance

Plugs are way more white than tan. Probably a little lean.

Should timing be the same as when I had points? Yes.

Could it be fuel ? Next time after your run before you go to start it up look down the carb a give it a small shot look for fuel spay.

Just a though.

Was this a Pertronix unit by chance? (Hall Effect triggering?)
If so, some are sensitive to the pick-up unit and the magnetic unit being better aligned than how they fit right out of the box, so to speak.
See if your instructions mention anything about this. It may play a roll in your problem!
(This does occasionally affect the Volvo OHC 4's when the Pertronix is installed.)

1. If timing is adanced to far would it cause this problem?
  2. Should timing be the same as when I had points?
  3. Thanks in "advance"
1. I'm going to suggest that excessive advance may or may not be causing your "plugs to be more white than tan" issue.... The "May Not" being Not Without Extreme Detonation issues simultaneously..... and I think you'd know if that was occuring!

2. Short answer..... Yes, if you mean are the same specs to be used?

Best to always re-set BASE advance, followed by seeing where your TA (total advance) is.....
TA is more critical than BASE for any gasoline marine engine.
See your OEM specs for this.

3. Pun intended? :D

Last edited:
Back