Logo

1999 Johnson Ocean Pro Ignition/fuel issue

GIusedtobe

Engine was professionally rebuilt a few years ago. I recently ran it on the hose at idle and it ran great. Took it on the lake and same until I accelerated and it started to plane and the motor bogged down and quit. Turned it over and it ran momentarily and then quit for good. Acts fuel starved. Got it back to the trailer and home and checked:

-cylinder compression good on all 6
-spark plugs wet but spark look fine
-still will not start, cleaned plugs again and motor burped on starting fluid
-assumed carb issue so I took it to a outboard guy

Guy tells me that one carb float was sticking but I need a new stator AND power pack all for a measly $1150!

So here are my questions:

- If the stator and powerpack were bad would'nt I be getting no spark at the plugs?
- If the stator is only putting out ~130V could this cause the scenario I described above?
- It just seems unlikely that all these components gave up the ghost like this when it ran like a top last July. I feel like this guy is chasing the problem by replacing parts at my expense. Thinking about doing the job myself but do not want to spend unnecessary $ since I am selling the boat.

Any tips appreciated.
Alan

Engine running normal until throttle was applied, then bogged down indicates fouled carburetors, clogged high speed jets, sticking timer base, usually the carburetor jets.

Remove the carburetor drain screw to inspect the fuel (water?, raw oil?)... also inspect the back of the drain screw(s). If coated with junk, goop, clogging substance... assume all carburetors are fouled.

If the spark will jump a 7/16" air gap with a strong blue lightning like flame, I'd strongly suspect that the stator & powerpack are okay.

How long has that engine been sitting since it was last used?

Last July or August but it was not run too much. I have not dug into the carbs at all. Cannot verify the strength of the spark I tested by holding the plug with pliers near the cylinder head like I always have and they were sparking. When I get it back I will check the powerpack and the stator if I can figure out how to do it Lol. Wouldn't any spark at the plugs allow the motor to at least attempt to fire? Just not familiar how these powerpacks or stators fail. If its sudden and everything quits or if it is more likely to cause intermittent problems, slow death sort of thing.

Thanks
Alan

Back