Logo

1999 Johnson 225 Smoking issues

wetpaws

My 1999 Johnson 225 with oil injection smokes like crazy at start up and idle. I've changed to Merc synthetic oil in hopes of reducing the smoke a bit. The motor runs very good, doesn't foul plugs, pees water great! I'm looking for suggestions on what I should do?

Thanks

Evinrude semi-synthetic oil works well too. Double check all your hose connections to make sure you don't have an air leak somewhere. A leak in the fuel line will lead to excessively rich oiling. Also, are your thermostats good? If they are stuck open and the motor runs too cold you can run rich like that as well.

KJ

Great! I plan on removing the fuel line and replace with a new one along with a new bulb tomorrow. I'll also check thermostats too! I usually have to pump the bulb 3-4 times to get it started. Once it starts it really smokes for a bit.

My 200 also smokes on startup. In a marina full of 4-strokes it's a little embarrassing being referred to as mosquito control. Switching to XD50 helped quite a bit. Make sure your primer solenoid lever is is the proper position, and it would worth testing to see if the valve is leaking. What is your starting procedure? If the motor runs fine otherwise, you should be happy.

I replaced all fuel lines along with removal and replacement of all hose clamps on fuel lines and oil line. I noticed that a couple were loose prior to replacing everything. I pumped the bulb until firm and the motor started right up, easier than it ever has. I would have to pump it 3-4 separate times before it would start prior to changing out lines. It did seem to smoke a little less too!

Ya, I was getting a lot of looks too! One guy said that I could get fined by local authorities. The solenoid is pointing down. I'll check o
the XD50 oil. Kevin suggested Evinrude Synthetic oil as well.

One cause of over oiling is air leaks on the intake side of the fuel pump, so good that you found the loose connections. If you want to spend the extra money, XD100 supposedly won't smoke at all. It should be available at WM or from a dealer. Good idea to run down what's in your tank now before switching. Never heard of possible fines for a smokey 2 stroke. Both the XD50 or 100 pretty much eliminate the need for using Ring Free or other additive to deal with carbon buildup, so some compensation for paying more.

Last edited:
Great info on the oil. That's good to know. I haven't bought oil yet so I think I'll check Walmart today. I'm planning on taking the boat out Sat to see how everything works out.

Fantastic! just what I wanted to hear! Thanks for the great info. I'm taking the boat out tomorrow, I'll give update when I get home

Back