Logo

1999 Honda bf130a issues

Just recently purchased a 19' trophy cc with a Bf130 on it. The motor seems to run fine but something isn't right. So I have a couple questions.

First.It takes me probably 100 yards to get planed out. I'm trimmed properly, with 2 passengers on board I know that can't be right. My tach says I'm right at 5k rpm while trying to get out of the water. Once up I'm running right around 24knots.

Last trip out a squall came and seas were 1-2 feet and everyone I hit the face of a wave it seemed like my motor would just cut out? What could cause that? I had to come to a idle so my wife could walk around to the console and once I tried to get moving again I ran into my first issue again. Not wanting to plane out.

any info would be great, thanks in advance

Once you get up on plane and trimmed out, what are you full throttle rpms?

You said you were trimmed properly at take off....were you trimmed all the way down until it got on plane?

If so, what size is your prop?

As for the cutting out....could be just about anything....bad connection; wave swamped the motor; etc. Might just be a one time thing.

Mike

Once you get up on plane and trimmed out, what are you full throttle rpms?

You said you were trimmed properly at take off....were you trimmed all the way down until it got on plane?

If so, what size is your prop?

As for the cutting out....could be just about anything....bad connection; wave swamped the motor; etc. Might just be a one time thing.

Mike

Once im out the water I'm at 5k, yes I was trimmed all the way down until I planed. As for cutting out where would a good place to start be? Ignition maybe? And prop size is 131/4x17

Hopefully, someone who has a 130 will pipe in, but that 17" prop sounds to me like it may be too big for the way that 130 is rigged. You should be getting 6000 +/- rpm's at WOT.

If you have not done it already, change out the fuel filters.

I did a compression test yesterday and they were all right there at about 200psi. I'm getting fuel filters this week. I'm hoping somebody out there knows something

Well I just got done digging because somebody brought up being water logged. Just pulled out 40 gallons of water from underneath my center console... Going to continue to pull out the water logged foam and hopefully that will solve my sluggish plane issue

A water logged boat sure could cause the running problem.

While you are down there, check to see where the wiring harness is routed. You might be getting corrosion build up in it causing your cutting out issue. Also, check all of the connectors for bad connections, pushed out or corroded pins. That means you will have to pull the connectors apart to check. That in itself helps to clean the contacts.

The compression sounds good. This motor likes good spark plugs (NGK ZFR7F) and good fuel. Without either of those, even though everything else is perfect, the motor will no run well.

Mike

Mike

I'm going to pull the removable deck tomorrow and make sure there isn't anymore standing water, while I'm down there I'll check the harness. I'm pretty good at corrosion inspections. I do avionics on Blackhawks and the amount of corrosion control we do is insane. So I'll pull all fuses, check grounds and spades while I'm at it.

As for the foam I removed, could I just get some foam board and replace it?

I'll go ahead and get new plugs as well. It can't hurt. Hopefully I'll be able to put it in the water tomorrow and try it out since I got rid of all that dead weight I'm gonna dump some sea foam in the tank and give her a try

I'll give a report as soon as I find out how she runs, thanks

Be careful of using Sea Foam too much. It does a good job of cleaning passages and decarbinations as a one time shot, but on a regular basis after that, you would be better served to use something without alcohol....like PRI-G or Stabil Marine. They have additives that stabilize, clean and decarbonize, and fight ethanol issues.

Some on this forum have found that Sea Foam works so good that it breaks loose junk and messes up the filters.

As for the foam boards. I do not know. You might want to contact a local fiberglass repair facility and get an opinion on that from them. I am sure the foam boards would be better than nothing, but I do not know how the flotation compares to other two part expanding type foam.

Mike

Yea I've seen some of the threads on sea foam. I'm just gonna use it as a one time thing. After like you said Stabil. I just want to make everything is clean.

I just pulled it out of the water from a test run and after removing all of the water and soaked foam, It was a HUGE difference. I honestly believe it was just carrying way to much weight with all that water in the hull. No spits or sputters, came right out of the water like i imagined it would. I'm still going to replace all the fuel and clean the tank. Make sure there isn't anymore water hiding anywhere else

Sounds like you about have it licked.

The rest of the standard maintenance items will minimize any other future issues.

Keep those Blackhawks flying.

Mike

After the one-time use of Sea Foam, which I use regularly to clean up fuel systems on lots of engines - large and small - take a look at ValvTect. It's a cleaner, stabilizer, moisture dispersant, and corrosion inhibitor all in one package. At least that's the claim. Several marinas in my area are now selling marine fuel already laced with ValvTect. It seems to be doing the job for my 225. and allows me to eliminate other additives. Although I do run a tank of Yamalube Ring Free through the engine towards the end of every fishing season.

I'll definitely check into it. I'm around half a tank now which is around 20 something gallons. Should I dump a can of sea foam in now and run it? Or refill the tank then add the can?

This is not necessarily gospel, but if I were in your shoes, if it's older gas (i.e. two months or more) I would run it out, or perhaps drain it and put it in your POV, which is much more tolerant of old gas. Then add the Sea Foam to the new tank full only IF you plan to run through that in the next month or so. If it takes you more time than that to run it out, then also add a stabilizer like Stabil. After a good dose of Sea Foam, then use a stabilizer or ValvTect in successive fill ups.

Alrighty, I'll probably run through more than a tank coming up since the fishing is really about to pick up. I'll try to get it pulled out this week and give it a good run this weekend. Hopefully some of that valvetect is available in my area

Back