Logo

1999 Evinrude 70hp 4 stroke (e70pl4ee) Help with Water pump replacement

mgp32

Hello,

I pretty much do all the maintenance on my toys/vehicles but have never attempted a water pump/Impeller replacement. I've tried searching the net but have not found any instructional videos or write-ups for this motor. I guess my main question is, after removing all the bolts holding the lower unit, do I have to disconnect any linkage anywhere for the drive shaft?

Any or tips or instructions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

The driveshaft does not need to be disconnected.----------You need to disconnect the shift rod.---There might be a pin visible at the front of the exhaust housing.

Last edited:
The driveshaft does not need to be disconnected.----------You need to disconnect the shift rod.

That's actually what I meant. The few videos I watched of other motors you could see the drivshaft just slides in/out. I guess my question is, where do you disconnected the shift linkage?

Again, any other help would be appreciated as well.

????---------I mentioned to look in front of the exhaust housing !!

Calm down there buddy. If you look at my previous reply you can see that I quoted what you wrote and that was not included in the text. I now see that you went back and added that in:D

Last edited:
Down low in the front, just above the fins on the LU, you will see a gap of about 1" height. Look in that gap and see the pin with keeper clip that you remove to disconnect the shift linkage.

Back