Logo

1999 E40PL4EE 4 stroke 40hp PTT

Flukeman

Motor will go up but not down. Solenoid only "clicks" on down switch push (on all switches)

What I have done:

1.) Disconnected each switch and tried the remaining switches, one by one. Trying to eliminate switches.

2.) Swapped locations of blue and green wires, resulting in down but no up.

Leads me to believe solenoid is bad.

Questions:

1.) Am I thinking this through correctly?

2.) If so, what is involved in removing a solenoid on this motor?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Jeff Edgarton

Well, you know you have two relays, right? Your post reads like you think there is only one.
There is one for up, and one for down.
The circuit is simple....but a bit tricky.
First thing to do is straight jump the green and blue wires directly to battery power. Blue on positive, green on negative will make the trim go up.
Reverse the wire connections with green on positive and blue on negative, and the trim will go down.
This verifies your trim motor is working.

Now....the relays. Both relays have to be good for the trim motor to work properly. Not just the UP relay for up, but also the DOWN relay for up function. Here's why. The Up relay energizes to provide +12 volts to the trim motor via the blue wire. However remember....the electricl circuit must have a return path....and that is handled by the green wire back to the down relay, which should be in the UNenergized state. When in the UNenergized state, the down relay provides a path to ground. Reverse the logic here for the down function.

Replacing relays is straightforward...just unhook the wires and swap new relay in.

You better be sure that you have the system diagnosed right tho.....those relays are 125 each.

If you cannot get them from evinrude, this is a Suzuki built DF40, and any Suzuki dealer can get these relays.

Thanks daselbee,

Yes, I realize there are two. I just swapped the green and blue wires location to be sure the trim motor worked in both up and down on what I assumed was a good up solenoid. Once switched, the motor would the operate down and not up, the opposite of my original condition.

When I arrive home this evening I will use your method to verify my results.

Correct me if I'm wrong in understanding your post. If my down solenoid was bad, would the motior also not go up? Because my up is working fine. If this is the case, what else should I be looking for? All motor connections are shining like new and connected. Both switches appear to be working as they should.

Thank you for the help,
Jeff

Look at it this way....
No up, two things can be wrong....the UP relay could be bad in not supplying 12 v to the blue wire circuit when energized.
No up, the dDown relay could be bad in not making the complete circuit to ground when not energized.

No down, the DOWN relay could be bad in not supplying 12 v to the green wire circuit when energized.
No down, the UP relay could be bad in not making the complete circuit to ground when not energized.

The ground function is all happening internl to the relay, in the non energized state.

If you want, I can give you explicit testing methods using a voltmeter. It is a book to type tho.....Just say if you want me to type it all out...

Motor will go up but not down. Solenoid only "clicks" on down switch push (on all switches)

What I have done:

1.) Disconnected each switch and tried the remaining switches, one by one. Trying to eliminate switches.

2.) Swapped locations of blue and green wires, resulting in down but no up.

Leads me to believe solenoid is bad.

Questions:

1.) Am I thinking this through correctly?

2.) If so, what is involved in removing a solenoid on this motor?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Jeff Edgarton

Is there any chance you can tell me whewre I can locate the damn relays? I have this same motor and can't find them....

Back