Logo

1999 Crusader 7.4 MPI timing marks

jon_allen

Regular Contributor
Hi Guys

I'm trying to determine if the timing pointer (there is no tab) should align with the slash on the balancer pulley when setting the base ignition timing.

I have the motor in service mode via my Rinda diagnostic tool.

The spec is 10btdc. When the pointer and the mark (slash) align am I at 10 degrees Btdc?

There are no other marks to reference.

Thank You

Jon Allen

Jon,

I do not have an answer to your question. I'm sure someone who does will reply.

On my 1977 vintage small block Chevy Crusaders, there is a secondary mark for timing the engines. It is a rectangular opening on the flywheel cover (bell housing) that allows you to see the top of the flywheel. The access hole is usually covered with a heavy rubber plug. Crusader marked the flywheel at TDC (the mark is actually on the drive plate). On my engines, the engine ID / serial number tag is just beneath the opening. The edges of the metal tag are 10 degrees from TDC. The attached picture might help describe this better than I can. Does your newer big block Crusader have this?

Rear timing.JPG

Last edited:
Easiest way to see what the pointer is set to is to find TDC on #1 and look at it.

I prefer to set the timing at full advance, after making sure the advance is working, and then live with the initial timing as long as it starts without issue when at operating temperature.....

The inspection port DJR mentions should be on that engine....and is another option

Hi Guys

Thanks for the quick reply.

I just need to know if the balancer slash mark and timing pointer when aligned in service mode at idle are what I am looking for when I'm checking base timing. The spec is 10 degrees BTDC. The motor is a 1999 454 MPI L29 330 hp.

I can't check the total timing because I can't keep my hand on the timing lite due to access issues. I'm using a mirror in a cramped engine room.

The MEFI 3 booklet I have says to refer to manufactures info regarding timing. I don't have this info.

Thanks

Jon

Understand what you want.....the issue I see is the Tab is standard equipment and the Pointer isn't....

I see two options: 1) see if you have the timing tab under the flywheel cover inspection port. If so, rotate the engine until the balance and Pointer line up and then check the position of the flywheel to the tab via the section port. 2) use a piston stop to find TDC and then check the relation between the Pointer and the balancer's scribed line.

Hi Guys

Thanks again for all of your help.

I contacted Marine Engines out of Holliston Mass. regarding the issue I am having with the timing. John Keane (who I used to work with back in the eighties) is super knowledgeable and helpful.

They are a Crusader dealer.

It turns out that the pointer and balancer mark when aligned is TDC. To read 10 BTDC you either need a dial back timing lite or timing tape on the balancer.

Some 454 L29s had a degreed balancer. Not this one however.

I can't work the timing lite due to access so I will be using the tape which he is sending out to me.

Thanks Again

Jon Allen

Glad you confirmation on the pointer's reference...

I dont see how the tape will do you any good if a dial back light won't work.....and if the access is that tight you may be S O L in getting the tape on the balancer...

Hi Mark

I maybe able to put the business end of the tape where it needs to go. I can apply it to the balancer on the inboard side of the motor. Probably won't be able to get the entire tape on though.

I also can measure the distance between TDC and 10 degrees on the tape and mark the balancer accordingly.

Thanks again

Jon Allen

Back