Logo

1999 15 hp honda new tiller arm/throttle/idle problem

ospreymoon

need some info guys! i recently bought me a 1999 15 hp honda, the motor is in excellent condition with only 10 hrs of use. the motor starts up second pull everytime, but there seems to be a problem with it idling correctly, i think it might be the tiller arm as he had just replaced it with a new one. when i try to give it gas it's like there is hardly any throttle it barely moves from slow to start but can't get past start to full throttle? And at the carb i can push the throttle over like a half inch more with my finger, but the tiller only goes so far. the rod connected to the carb throttle, i've tried to adjust but it doesn't help. any ideas? also, i need to know what each adjustment is for on this carb? i know the bottom one drains the gas, & top with the spring is the idle adjustment? but the one on the side is for? any input would be appreciated!

If it is in neutral, the throttle can only be advanced a small amount. Put the engine in forward gear and then operate the throttle. then you should be able to get full throttle.

If you are still being limited, you may have to check the alignment of the knuckle gears at the base of the tiller arm. Part #12 http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard Engine/1999/BF15AX LA/HANDLEBAR/parts.html

The screw on the side adjusts the air/fuel mixture at idle. Initial setting is 1 5/8 turns out from lightly seated.

Mike

Mike, thanks for the reply! the air/fuel mixture screw on the side, is it supposed to screw in and out? mine will only turn very little in either direction? is this the way it's supposed to be? it has like a little metal ear tab under the screw that keeps it from moving? & you were right on the forward gear/open throttle, that works fine. But i can't get it to idle right. i choke it, it starts right up. let it warm for a few mins, push in the choke, cuts off. half choke, runs but still too fast in a no wake zone, slow it down & cuts off. any ideas for me? would be appreciated!

Hi,

There are two screws to help set up your idle. # 5 in the parts page link below is the IDLE MIXTURE SCREW and, I believe, the one you are asking about. It doesn't appear to me to have any "limiter" associated with it so it should turn in and out relatively freely. They can get "hung up" though on the little oring that seals the passage. Especially when trying to back them out. Sometimes I use a sharp dental pick to get in under the head of the screw and pry out as I turn with a screwdriver. This is because the oring provides so much "lateral friction". It is also possible that someone has done something untoward (for lack of a harsher term) to damage the screw. I would want to take it all the way out and inspect it. However, you should have a new oring on hand if you decide to do that. While the screw is removed, you can shoot some carb or brake cleaner into the passage and possibly clear any blockage that might be in there. Use the spray straw that comes with the can and use a liberal amount to ensure success.

Item #7 is your "curb idle screw". It simply opens or closes the throttle plate to adjust idle speed. If it has backed out all the way, then your-+in gear idle+- may be too low. You would typically set this screw's adjustment while tied to the dock and in forward gear or while the motor leg is in a trash can full of water and in gear. DO NOT PUT YOUR OUTBOARD IN GEAR WHILE ON RABBIT EARS UNLESS YOU FIRST REMOVE THE PROP! Even in a trash can, you can be injured and it gets "messy" when you start splashing water everywhere.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard Engine/1999/BF15AX SA/CARBURETOR/parts.html

Hope this helps you and good luck.

Last edited:
ok guys i just tried to take out the idle mixture screw & it broke off! i've seen pics online of this screw & what i have looks nothing like those, it still has/had like a little metal ear tab on the head of the screw preventing it from turning but so far in either direction...or did anyways lol apparently the guy i bought the motor from had issues with this before, because there is an extra carb in the stuff i got from him with the same screw head broken. anyhow, the extra carb has the following numbers stamped on it: 06HB WB13 & the carb on the motor has: 06FA MH28 they look the same cept numbers different? Ok i may see if i can get the screw to come on out, but if i can't i'm gonna buy a whole new carb.... can any you guys point me in the right direction to buy a carb online? & are the carbs that i have the right ones? again my motor is a 1999 honda BF15 AXSA it was bought in montana.. any input would be appreciated!

Sorry.....you are out of luck....there are no carburetors that work in a motor bought in Montana.

Only joking....

The 06 indicates that the carbs are for a 15A. The two letters after the 06 refer to the serial numbers of the engines. I do not know of any correlation chart for that. You should be able to use either one on your motor.

If you have a spring loaded punch....if I have one that breaks, I put one punch mark at the 12 o clock and one at the 6 oclock position near the edge of the screw head that is left. Then I take two picks (sometimes I need only one), put them in the punch marks and wind the screw out.

Post your frame number and I will tell you exactly what part number to order if you are going to order a new carburetor.

Mike

If you are looking into the hole where the head broke off you should see what basically looks like a smooth, round, brass surface a little larger than 1/8". That is the screw and the technique hondadude described to you should work perfectly. I would only add that you sometimes need to turn and PULL at the screw at the same time to get it out. This requires turning with one dental pick and pulling with another to work it out of there. It WILL come out.

Let's go back to basics.....are you sure that it is a 1999? You are right that these screws are the same, but not for all of the 15 HP's. Only for three years.

What is the frame serial number? That way, we will know for sure.

Mike

Yes, it is a 1999. From everything I can see in my part program, that #5 should be the correct screw for the 06FA carburetor. Which you can see indicated in the #10 description. Could something inside the opening?

Mike

ok my mistake lol i took the screw out of the 06hb first, the spare carb. evidently not the same carb! i just got the screw out of the 06fa & it's definitely the same! going to clean it good with some carb cleaner & put it back on this evening "fingers crossed" ;) Rob

Back