Logo

1999 125 2 stroke won’t start

Was the kill switch pulled accidentally?
Ha. This can happen. I have accidentally done it several times as Texas Law now requires you to be wearing a life jacket and lanyard to the kill switch when operating your boat. So you get distracted, move from your seat and wala....engine dies.

Yeah, me too. We had a big day on the boat planned and as my wife was packing snacks, lunch, drinks, chairs and lots of other stuff in the boat, I was getting the boat ready to go. I always hook up the muffs and crank it and let it warm up a bit before heading to the boat ramp. Just putting plugs in, checking the gas gauge and just making sure everything is working correctly. I cranked the motor and left it running while I went into the house to get something. Came out and the motor wasn't running anymore. Tried and tried to start it and it wasn't firing! I called our boys and their families to tell the I had issues and might be late getting to the island we were planning on spending the day on. I worked on that boat for several hours cussing and fussing!! When my wife came out to complain that we were wasting the entire day and she was very dissappointed that we weren't out in the river, she aded "Oh, I tripped over that red wire and knocked it loose, is that causing the problem?" There it was laying on the floor of the boat! The kill switch/lanyard! I went from being incredibly pissed, to incredibly relieved that I didn't have any real problems and we made the outing - though much less time spent on the beach than we would have liked. I've never actually hooked that thing to myself. Adults are required to have life jackets, but not required to wear them here in Georgia. I honestly don't know if we're required to have the lanyard attached to our person. I've owned boats for over 45 years and have spent an incredible amount of time out on the water, and I have never been stopped and asked to show that I had all the required safety equipmet in my boat. I think around here as long as you're not being stupid on the water, they pretty much leave you alone.

Back