Logo

1999 115hp 2 stroke ignition miss

Craig3562

I have a 1999 mercury 115hp 2 stroke with an intermittent ignition miss. The miss occurs Between approx 3500-4800 rpm. The miss does not occur at WOT. I purchased a single new spark plug and CDM, and replaced each CDM/plug starting at the top and working my way down. The new CDM/plug made no difference in the miss. The miss itself occurs about every 15-30 sec, and lasts at the most 1/2 sec. My next thought would be the ignition trigger. All opinions welcome

Craig
Moultrie, Ga

My 2 stroke 1986 tower of power 115 HP in-line 6 cyl was having that issue and because the wires coming out of the trigger assy had the rubber wire coatings cracked it was causing the high voltage spark to crossfire to another Cyl or jump to ground. The crossfire caused the wrong Cyl to fire and it ended up zapping the piston dome and was chipping off pieces of the piston. I bought a Merc lifting eye, new trigger assy and a master rebuild / gasket set and rebuilt it over the winter. I simply blended the done of the piston smooth with jewelers files, reassembled the engine and four years later it runs like a top. Pull the flywheel and have a look at the trigger wires and see if the wire insulation is the problem. You won't need to buy any gaskets and a simple socket (1 1/16 I believe and a gear, flywheel or steering wheel puller and you'll be looking at the trigger assy. :cool:

Back