Logo

1998 Ocean pro 175, Weird problem....

sfc2113

I have a 1998 evinrude ocean pro 175hp carbed. Here is my problem:

The Engine starts up and runs fine at first morning startup cold. After running to my fishing location and shutting down the engine and letting it sit for 15-20min it has a hard time idling.

It starts at the flick of the key but then if bogs down and stalls, it does this several times and I have to hammer the throttle to make it stop doing this.

the engine runs great trolling and on plane. No excessive smoke. Carbs were rebuild last winter. Have repleaced all the fuel lines, bulb ect. cant seem to to figure this one out.

I have the same motor with the same issue...

Hope that you are able to come up with the cure and will pass it along.

Good luck

Papa B

I have replaced everything ove the past season, carbs, fuel bracket components. All to no avail. Engine is perfect compression 105 on all cylinders. But I think I have found the problem. And its not the engine. It ethanol.

What this engine is suffering from is "Heat Soak". do a google search "heat soak outboard" I have no problems with this engine in the cold weather under 60 degress. As soon as the summer temps arrive it starts doing this. Very frustrating because all I do is throw money at it.
Yesterday I spent a good part of the day verifying this. Here is what I have determined fixes the issue. I managed to remove ethenol from 5 gals of gas. long story and risky but it worked. I used 2 seperate gas cans. one with 10% ethanol and one without. First I ran the boat as I normally do on the ethanol gas. After a 30 min run, shut down engine, wait 15 min and restart, idel spit, bogg, stall bogg bogg then run. Disconnect from ethanol gas connect ethanol free gas. Run for 30 min. Engine fired right back up no spitting, no bogg no stall on throttle up. did this till the 5 gal was gone. Hooked backup to the ethanol fuel. Back to bogg and stall issue.

Now I an certain my problem is ethanol related. Now I know what to do to minimize the affect. After all the testing I hooked back up to the main tank and went fishing. Below is what I did and it worked great.

1. Allow the engine to idle for at least 3 minutes before shtting down after a run.

2. Squeeze the bulb a few times and hit the primer for 3 seconds before starting engine.

one other thing I could have done was remove the engine cowling but that was not nesecary as it was not that hot yesterday.

worked out 100% better.

Last edited:
Great news!

I have suspected ethanol for some time now... but I'm also at high altitude in Utah (7500 plus) and was concerned that might be the problem.

However, your discription fits my issue to a tee.

Wondered if the ethanol treatment prods would help ie: Sta-bil marine or similar?

I've also heard that aviation fuel is the way to go???

Anyway, Thanks so much for your update... now I can go to work trying to eliminate the ethanol from the tank.

Keep me posted if anything changes-

PB

Marine products like stabil do nothing for the ethanol itsself, only help with phase seperation. Just make sure you have a good quality fuel filter/water seperator. I use the racor 10 micron with a water sensor at the bottom. Yea it was $150 but that versus a 14k motor... Ill deal with the ethanol and post any other solutions. But for now I am waiting on fall weather so this thing runs better.

Thanks again for the info... at least I have a direction to go with this issue.

And I'll take your advise re: the fuel / water seperator.

PB

Back