Logo

1998 Honda BF40 Throttle Position When Stored

Mako236@WYC

I have a 1998 carbureted, manual choke, Honda BF 40, with a top mounted, Honda control on the center console. I would like to store it with the throttle control in the full forward, advanced position (to minimize the height profile). Will this create a problem? Thank you!

By doing so would that not leave the throttle plate wide open allowing insects a place to call home? Maybe close the choke?

Wow!
William01 makes a really great point! I was about to say my opinion was that it probably wouldn't hurt but now, I think I have changed my mind.

His suggestion makes me think about the really small and unexpected places I've found mouse nests before. Imagine having THAT in your intake manifold come fishing time!

Although his "close the choke" idea makes good sense too and could work out for you.

Just don't forget! Imagine priming up and cranking her over at full choke, full throttle!
It might actually blast off max rpm. That wouldn't be good either.

My boats are stored in reverse to keep a low profile. I wouldn't be too worried about mice and the throttle plate position personally, but if I were, your motor has a manual choke that could be closed to prevent the mice from getting any further.

Back