Logo

1998 Honda 90 on pontoon trim up button works in neutral but not in forward or reverse.

ispeedalot

Trim operates fine in neutral up and down. Trim down operates fine in any shifter position. Trim up only operates in neutral. I do not have any technical info and have not disassembled the shifter yet. I would like to get a "heads up" before tearing into it. Any tips, info and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

What shifter do you have? Can you post a picture of it?

Most likely, you have a wire going to the trim switch that is broken inside the insulation. Generally, the location of the problem is around the base of the shift arm, where it goes into the shifter or where the wiring is fastened to the shifter.

Mike

Thanks for the info Mike. The shifter has Honda on it and the boat manufacturer is Bennington. The engine manufacture date is 1998 and the boat is a 1999. I am sure this was a factory install and nothing appears to have been tampered with. Is there a wiring diagram and parts breakdown I can access anywhere before I tear into it?

Back