Logo

1998 Evinrude 90hp no spark

Lakegeorge

Hi all,
Yesterday I took my boat and 1998 Evinrude 90hp out on the water for the first time (for me). At first it started percent and ran really well. Then the Low Oil alarm came on. So I disconnected the tachometer to stop the buzzing and went fishing. NOTE: I disconnected the Tach. because I thought I had disabled the VRO. I disconnected the black and gray wire, but unfortunately forgot to disconnect the purple, black, tan, gray wire.
So while fishing the motor started to buck under full throttle, but ran good at half throttle. About a half-hour later the motor was running bad, like it was running on 2 cylinders . I stopped the motor, and it wouldn’t restart. The kill switch kept falling out from the key switch. When I kept the kill switch button pushed in the motor still didn’t start. Later that day, at home I tested the motor and found that it had no spark, with the kill switch and Tach. both installed.
Any idea what would cause a no spark condition? Maybe bad key switch? Or something related to the vro? Strangely I couldn’t find the black and yellow wire disconnection boot. The black/yellow wire seem to be part of a larger multi connection plug. I checked compression and everything checked out good. Thoughts?

There are 2 different 90 HP models in 1998.----Model # is needed here.------Have you replaced water pump impeller every 5 years ?

Why did you run it with a alarm? Did you check oil? Motor maybe shot now. May not have spark due to engine dragging and not at RPM to produce spark

thanks for the questions.
The Model# E90SLECM
There is premixed fuel in the tank, coming to the motor. The battery was fully charged and the motor is turning at a high rpm at startup. The water pump was changed within 5 years, and shooting water (hard) from the tell-tale. Because this was a trial with the motor, I felt the water leaving the tell-tale about 6 times throughout the trial and it never felt warmer than lukewarm.

Unplug main harness and jump solenoid to test spark. Have plugs removed so it cannot start. This takes boat wiring out of system

I jumped the solenoid and still no spark. I removed the yellow and black wire from the ignition key switch.There isn’t a disconnection for the black/yellow wire near the power packs. Still no spark. What next?

I jumped the solenoid and still no spark. I removed the yellow and black wire from the ignition key switch.There isn’t a disconnection for the black/yellow wire near the power packs. Still no spark. What next?
Here are a few photos of the ignition coils. Is there any chance both would stop working at the same time? I cleaned connections and still no start.

Attachments

• IMG_5913.jpeg
    IMG_5913.jpeg
    24.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5917.jpeg
    IMG_5917.jpeg
    24.7 KB · Views: 5
Back