Logo

1998 Evinrude 90 hp V4 1632cc 2stroke

"you can go to shopevinrude.co

"you can go to shopevinrude.com and get exploded diagrams and complete parts descriptions...........but the parts are cheaper on this site...........come to think of it you can look them up under "engine parts" at the top left of your screen...................after narket kits are just as good as oem.

what kind of problems are you having?

in addition to the carb rebuild i would do a decarb as shown here http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=158076

cleaning http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=244013

dont know if yours has adjustable needles or not http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=167352 ....there are more than 1 type listed you will have to choose the one that applies to you

also change fuel/water filter.........if you dont have one get one and do away with your other inline filter"

"Thanks David! I bought the bo

"Thanks David! I bought the boat after it had been sitting up for several years in dry storage. I had a mechanic check the compression and one of the cylinders didn't compress fully. I believe it was #3 and it was 80. the others are 110,110,115. I have been using the boat weekly since I bought it in June 08. The motor runs fine I just have a hard time starting it and keeping it ideling . I had a friend, who seems knowledgeable with O/B, tell me that a carb rebuild should fix my problem. He said it wasn't getting enough fuel flow and that's why it acts up. If I push the choke once every few minutes it idles fine. I think the compression problem has resolved with use of the motor. I was going to try the rebuild option first, before anything else."

"yes poor idle can be from a f

"yes poor idle can be from a fouled card.

the links i posted should help you a lot.

make sure you do a decarb.........it will smoke like crazy during the process but it helps a lot.....
the carbs do sound like your prob.......2 strokes are bad about gumming up after sitting, but a fuel stabilizer will help prevent that.....especially if your boat sits around for extended amounts of time. stabilizer will also help reduce water in your fuel adn help keep your oil from settling on the bottom of your fuel tank."

"You have an issue with #3, to

"You have an issue with #3, to much variance in compression with the other cylinders. That will cause hard starting and a bad idle. Check the plug in that hole for being more oil fouled than the others...or spotlessly clean compared to the others. Any of these signs on #3 plug warrents that head being pulled for a visual inspection. Otherwise you risk a total failure at some point."

I have a 1996 90hp Johnson tha

I have a 1996 90hp Johnson that had same proplem as far as the compresion I pulled head and check it on a piece of glass to see if it was warp. It was so I found a used head checked it and reinstalled it Then I decarboned engine and check compression again #3 clyd. rose from 90 to 105 so now it is running great.If your engine is like mying there is no head gasket there is a large o-ring around cylinder then it is sealed with black silicone. If you can run .004 feeler gauge under head when it is on a flat piece of glass it might be warped. Before pulling head do another compression tst. it could be stuck ring

"at that comp,i'd pull the

"at that comp,i'd pull the head...and as rollie states-->Any of these signs on #3 plug warrents that head being pulled for a visual inspection. Otherwise you risk a total failure at some point."

"Thanks guys for all the helpf

"Thanks guys for all the helpful insight. I will begin this project soon, I have to go fishing a little more first.....BIG tourney coming up! I am sure I will be here asking more questions, good to know ya'll are so helpful. Thanks"

"I was looking for some clarif

"I was looking for some clarification help. Does my motor,1998 Evinrude 90 hp, V4 (1632cc), have floats and needle valves. The kit it recommends says it doesn't. I'm confused. The part number on this site for what is recommended is Carb Kit 18-7247. Does this sound right? Thanks"

"As recommended above, the par

"As recommended above, the parts pics clearly show a needle and seat as well as a float. They also give the correct OMC part numbers for the parts you need. The whole nine yards.

The expensive kits contain the needle, seat, and float.
The less expensive kits contain the gaskets.
Your choice to re-use the float, etc.
You can buy the needle/seat and float separately if you want. Your choice.

Is that really your question?"

if your wallet is as slim as m

if your wallet is as slim as mine i would disassemble the carbs and see what kind of shape the needles and floats are in.

if the needle has a ring around the top it needs to be replaced..........however in a pinch you can take some fine sand paper or emery cloth and twist the needle (gently) to remove the ring from the rubber.....the bad part is its not a permanent fix ----- just rigged up to work for a while...

I don't have a parts numbe

I don't have a parts number catalog to check for the right replacement parts. I have figured the carb rebuild out but can't seem to find the fuel pump kit or pump. The one I found says it's for a much lower hp than my 90.Could that be the correct one? It's from Sierra 18-7820. The Carb kits I found are from Malory CARB KIT 9-37100. Does this sound right? Also does the carb kit come for both or do I have to order two? Thanks

Back