Logo

1998 90 HP Lower main crank bearing

carolinaflare

Contributing Member
"Is the lower main ball bearing on the crank presses on or should it slide off and back on etc. for replacement. I cant get mine off the crank, (However the motor did have saltwater sitting in the bottom of the crank case for a month.) The answer is obvious to me if was not presses on to begin with...
Thanks"

"Normally takes a special tool

"Normally takes a special tool for removal and a press for installation.

However, if the bearing is shot anyway, it can be tapped off by carefully hitting it on the top outside edge with a hammer (CAREFULLY!).

Installation can be accomplished by carefully using a brass punch on the center portion of the new bearing to tap it into place.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay store at:

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

If you are going to use a hamm

If you are going to use a hammer DONT USE A STEEL one cause if that bearing out shatters and they do you could end up with a piece of steel in you.

Please use a copper or brass type hammer

Re: If you are going to use a hamm

Yes special tools and procedure required for this task. As an alternative you can apply heat with a torch to the inner rim race bottom side of ball bearing and it should be easier to tap or slide off. Installation of new one is even easier, apply careful heat to the inner race of the new ball bearing while at the same time rolling it back and forth on its outer race, ball bearing will fall into place with its own weight no hammering necessary. I know this for a fact, I applied this process with my own Mercury 90 it was that simple !

I recognize this post is old but perhaps it may serve as a reference to anyone looking for help. :)

Good Luck

Reelcs25

Back