Logo

1998 200HP lower unit seals and O-ring...

Hey Nick!!! Where you been?

Um....Pressure test it while submerged in a tank. The bubbles will come out the propshaft seals or out of deep inside the carrier area.

You might have to drain the LU oil first so that bubbles come out vs. actual oil...

What's up Daselbee??? been here in and out...what about u??? thanks for the reply... the leak is odd, up to a week ago I hadn't mess with the boat for months, got on top to turn the wheel left and right to see if it hasn't seized after sitting for long, just went left and right not tilt and the lower unit started leaking...really odd...

Hey, all quiet over here.
Border nice and secure?:)

Umm, it really doesn't matter which of those sealing parts is leaking. You still have to pull the carrier out, so you will be changing the o-ring and propshaft seals together.
Pulling the carrier on a saltwater motor can be a real problem....

I'm sure you know of a field expedient method of pulling the carrier... can you give me a run down on what tools I need and your way of doing it??? what bother me is the way it happen, it had not leaked and I just turned the wheel side to side and started to leak make no sense.

As said, have it pressure and vacuum tested before taking it apart. That way you'll known exactly where the problem is.

I wonder....you turned the wheel, you surely have hydraulic steering on your boat, right?

You sure this isn't hydraulic fluid leaking from the steering cylinder?

Daselbee,
no hydraulic steering on my boat.. that is why every so often I have to just turn the wheel left and right after the boat sits for a while to prevent it from seizing in the sleeve.. I;m sure it is gear oil...it sure smells like it.

Pulling carrier is tough sometimes. You can use your flywheel puller, but you will have to rig up some pulling rods. They will be as large as possible, maybe in the 7/16 range, maybe even 1/2. Make a sharp bend to hook in behind 2 of the carrier spokes. It is a tough way to do it, because the puller wants to flop sideways. You don't have three pulling points, only 2.

Another way is to Loop a piece of chain thru the spokes and hook a slide hammer to the chain. Go to it. I have used a 10 pound slide hammer.

Heat, heat, heat.

You are only doing one, so the pullers will not be cost effective for you. Why not take the LU to a marine shop and just have them pull it out?

Daselbee,
I see what u are saying...one thing I did different that could have had an effect on the leak is that I left my throttle in the forward position...could that have caused the leak?? I don think so, but what u think?

Any place where a shaft goes through a housing on a lower unit there must be a seal.---------Keeps the water out and the oil inside !-----Lower units are routinely pressure tested to check integrity of seals / O-rings / gaskets.---Why not invest a few pennies and have your local shop perform this test for you !!

Yes. There are quite a few seals. Shift shaft, driveshaft, propshaft, and carrier o-ring.
That's why if you drain the LU, and pressure test, (submerged in water) you can see the bubbles and know exactly where the leak is.

Not likely the shift shaft seal if the oil is coming out the prop carrier area. Was the engine titled or vertical? If vertical, definitely not the shift shaft or driveshaft seals.

Oil is coming right from the exhaust hub thru the prop, motor is in trailering position, called the shop for a quote and said they would have to reseal the whole lower unit to play it safe, and since they would have everything off may as well and throw a new impeller in... $ 385 the damage...

Is water getting into this lower unit ???-----Whether you believe it or not , a lot of times this leakage is oil that has gone right through the motor.-The nature of a 2 stroke motor.

Back