Logo

1998 200hp EFI Mercury Trigger Assembly

Cut2Short

Good Morning all, looking to see if anyone out there would have any idea as to if there is a spring mechanism in the trigger assembly on my engine. When I remove the throttle cable from the motor, the spark advance lever will not return to it's vertical position, it seems I've lost a spring that would do that but don't know if there even is a spring in the trigger assembly or another location that might do this. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. As a temporary fix I put an external spring between the front of the engine and the spark advance lever and it seems to work for now but would like to fix it properly.

Thanks, I know the throttle arm has a spring that controls the tension when I pull the spark advance lever towards the front of the engine(Intake), not sure how tension is managed for the spark advance lever as it is moved to the rear of the engine. Any thoughts? I can't believe there isn't some type of mechanism to keep tension on the spark advance lever at all times so that slop in the throttle arm/cable is kept to a minimum.

That's just what I remember but just thought there was some type of spring tension that went with it, not just a little preload on the throttle arm. Thanks for the information.

Back