Logo

1998 15hp evinrude idle screw setting

Simple question.----What is your motor doing or not doing ?----Or did you have carburetor all apart.-----Set at 4 turns out.----Motor should start and run.----Adjust as needed once motor warms up.

wow ok that makes me feel better. Just seemed like a lot.

Motor runs fine just trying to clean up the idle a little bit. I get the occasional lean sneeze at idle. Just need to richen it a bit. Could not seem to find the initial factory setting. it is about 2-1/2 - 3 turns out now.

I am more familiar with Yamaha's which are usually 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 turns so once I was out to 2-1/2 I was wondering how far out to go before I started thinking dirty idle circuit in carb.

Other than that motor runs great.

The factory manual specs 3 turns from lightly seated . Generally the spring will ground out the needle. You'll want to adjust on the water under load. I generally lean it out until it sneezes then back off and add a 1/8th or 1/16th of a turn counterclockwise to richen the mix. I generally find it ends up around 4 to 4 1/2 turns.

Turns out.-----The amount of opening ( and fuel flow ) is controlled by the pitch of the thread and taper of the needle.------So some carburetors do not follow the 1-1/2 turns out guide line!

Turns out.-----The amount of opening ( and fuel flow ) is controlled by the pitch of the thread and taper of the needle.------So some carburetors do not follow the 1-1/2 turns out guide line!
This is why I asked!! being that I am more familiar with a different brand.

Back