Logo

1998 115 johnson

ballew

hello
what would cause the timing light to fire on #1 cylinder and the TDC mark is opposite side of flywheel
ive check sparkplug stop tool on cylinder one that the top dead ctr, is correct
i was able to get the wot ( joe r. method to 4' less than factory specs) timing on the flywheel cylinder one
i can get the engine to run but the timing light connected to # 1 cylinder its lighting like its TDC on the # 3 cylinder
any advise

Last edited:
There are 2 different 115 HP models in 1998.-----Post the model # here.-------Which cylinder are you calling #1 on this motor.----Timing normally does not change.-----What is your motor doing / not doing.-----Make no timing adjustment if you are unsure of what needs to be done !

Last edited:
the model is j115tslecm cylinder 1 is top right if looking at from the back side prop
orange, blue is connected to coil 1

i have the flywheel off the stater off and the trigger coil off is there any advice tricks to putting back together i have the manual but this seems to keep happening it looks to be timing correctly and then bam 180' out

i wanted to thank you racerone for the help, i revisited the ignition work and previous related threads to my problem erratic firing and voltages and ran across one and you had mentioned the stator and the bolts and bolt holes had to be free of debris and cleaned because if the stator wasn't grounded properly, it would cause voltage problems
i rethreaded holes cleaned with alcohol and q tips tell the holes were wissel clean, cleaned stator holes both sides of stator and bolts i reinstalled timer, stator and flywheel and the motor started, and all 4 cylinders were firing all thanks to all that contribute

Back