Logo

1997 Mercury 9.9 hp EL 2 stroke tiller handle problem.

Highland Bob

Hello, this is my first post so I apologize if there's some place I should have looked to quickly find these answers. I just bought a 1997 9.9 for a song, but it has a few issues. The biggest issue is the tiller handle is still attached, but it's missing the end piece that attaches it to the swivel mount, so it just dangles (see picture). I have looked on this site and others at a parts diagram, and I don't see that part listed. The diagram makes it look like all one piece, but mine has three threaded bolt holes, indicating something was once bolted there to hold the tiller handle in place. I have a couple of other motors that I could find service and parts manuals for, but I'm having trouble finding those for this motor (there is not one on this site unless I'm missing it, and I did find the serial number range for my motor). My other problem is that when I connect the fuel line and pump the bulb, the fuel just runs out the bottom cowl. That's probably an easy fix when I get in there, but the way I know the motor runs is I shot a little carb cleaner into the carb throat and it started first pull but quickly died due to no fuel (the guy I bought the motor from said it wouldn't run). The third issue is there seems to be a starter solenoid missing (see picture). I'm ok using the pull rope because it starts so easy, but I would like it mo better if the starter worked. I checked the compression before I bought the motor and it's 112 on both cylinders, so I felt really good about buying it cheap even with these issues. So now that I've given an overview, here are my questions:
1. What is the best service manual, and where do I get it? ( this should solve most of my problems, if the solutions are within my capabilities)
2. Should I just get a tiller handle arm assembly for $100 and get on the lake?
3. Is it ok to run the motor without the starter solenoid? There are several wires with round terminal ends just hanging loosely. It seems like something wouldn't be grounded, but the motor did start with the pull rope as I said above. DC wiring has always confused me, even though I know it's simple.
4. Is there a website I can go to to find out what other year/hp motors' parts are compatible?

I was a shop monkey at a boat dealership for 2 1/2 years in the late 80's and early 90's, but I've just recently started wrenching on them again. I forgot how much I enjoyed it. I really appreciate this forum, but there is so much information here that I've yet to develop a talent for sifting through it. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. I paid $250 for the motor in case you're wondering.

Regards,

Bob

Attachments

• tiller handle bracket missing.jpg
    tiller handle bracket missing.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 39
  • Starter solenoid missing.jpg
    Starter solenoid missing.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 32
PN 822147 1 plate is what you are looking for and whatever plastic bushings are missing. The part is NLA on this website so you'll need to hunt. The two screws that hold the whole thing together are M5 X16 don't know your serial number but the picture appears to be the later style tiller assembly.

Thank you sir, that gets me a lot closer to getting it fixed. I appreciate you taking the time to reply. My serial number is 0G553602 in case anyone else may have an idea of how to source these parts. I'll start looking now.

PN 822147 1 plate is what you are looking for and whatever plastic bushings are missing. The part is NLA on this website so you'll need to hunt. The two screws that hold the whole thing together are M5 X16 don't know your serial number but the picture appears to be the later style tiller assembly.

I was able to find the part you put on your reply (PN 822147 1 plate). I attached an image of it below. I may indeed need this part, but it will not attach the handle to the swivel mount. I still need something else. My serial number is 0G553602, so if anyone can help me find the right parts/service manual, or just the diagram, I would greatly appreciate it. When I looked at the tiller diagram on this site that corresponds to my serial number, it doesn't look like my handle assembly. I also looked on other sites and keep seeing the same diagram. Thank you.

Attachments

• 822147-1 plate.jpg
    822147-1 plate.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 19
What doesn't add up is your serial number is a later model design OG553 but your steering handle is an older design OA-OD serial number range. Check for yourself on this website.

What doesn't add up is your serial number is a later model design OG553 but your steering handle is an older design OA-OD serial number range. Check for yourself on this website.

Yep, you're right. It is part# 42213A14, but I can't find it anywhere. If anyone knows where to find one, please let me know. Maybe I should just part this motor out. Thanks

Back