Logo

1997 Mariner 50HP ELHPTO - Cranks/No Start

mlou08

Hey Guys,

Looking for some initial direction here if possible. I have a 1997 Mariner 50HP 2-Stroke ELHPTO (SN:0G447675). I was running wide open yesterday after about 30 minutes or so it seemed to overspeed and shut down almost immediately. I thought maybe I had spun the prop, but was unable to get it to fire back up. I was able to get off the water with the kicker motor, thankfully. Didn't have much time before the rain to do much diagnosis, and I'm not terribly familiar with outboards in general.

Things I have checked in the short bit of time I had before the rain hit...
Engine cranks but will not fire.
Compression feels good when turning the flywheel by hand, but not confirmed with a tester.
Plugs look good with no fouling or signs of a lean condition.
Fuel pump had good pressure to the carburetors as it sprayed pretty good when taking the line off.
I pulled the air box off and saw no signs of any issues or obstruction.
I toggled the kill switch and tried again with no change.
I have a cheapo light up spark tester and I was not able to verify spark on any cylinder. (going to verify its functionality tonight on the lawn tractor just to confirm.)

Was hoping I could get some help to point me in the right direction as I have minimal experience troubleshooting outboard electronics.

Thanks,
Mike

Check your spark with an open spark tester,should jump at least a 3/8 gap.Check your compression with a tester and post your numbers here.If you have spark,compression and fuel then check your flywheel key to see if it sheared.

Charge the battery.----Have battery load tested.----Take starter apart for inspection.-----Reason for this is ?----If motor cranks slow there will be no spark.-----If all of that is good then I missed that information in your first post I guess.

I was able to check compression on this engine. I have 125psi on each cylinder +/- 1-2psi.

As for spark, I have absolutely no spark on any cylinder. I also disconnected the black/yellow wire from the switch box and tried, and have no spark still.

Battery is in great condition, less than 6 months old and load tests fine. Cranking speed is strong, so I opted not to disassemble the starter.

Any guidance on how to check the stator/trigger and such with it still installed?

Back