Logo

1996 Volvo penta sx cobra outdrive issue.

Antx10

Hello all, I currently own a 96 Volvo penta with a sx cobra 1.66 outdrive and it is powered by a 5.0fl v8.
The other day when I was out on the lake it started to make this grinding swirling sound when I put it in fwd or reverse gear and it would get a bit louder and vibrate when at cruising speeds and will go away at higher speeds. I decided to check the gear oil and it appears the magnet in the drain plug broke and there is small metal chunks stuck to it. I checked the inspection port on the top gears and the gears up top seem to be ok, I’m guess the lower unit is shot. I want to swap the lower unit with a used one in good condition but I am worried as there is now metal particles in the upper gears as well as it traveled throughout the oil. Any ideas on how I can flush and clean the inside of the gear casing prior to installing the new lower unit?

Ayuh,..... It needs to be torn down, cleaned, then reassembled,....
No mechanic around me even wants to touch a Volvo, and the closest dealer is 4 hours way. Called them up, and they said they wouldn’t even attempt a rebuild as they would just swap in a replacement.

No mechanic around me even wants to touch a Volvo, and the closest dealer is 4 hours way. Called them up, and they said they wouldn’t even attempt a rebuild as they would just swap in a replacement.
Also, after flushing the oil again yesterday and running her. The noise is now gone. I’m guessing the magnet breaking was the culprit and the lower unit is still ok.

Back