Logo

1996 Mercury 60hp Big Foot Differences

Shawn070

Hello All,

The wife and I just purchased a Pontoon with a 1996 Mercury Big Foot. My question is other than the lower unit being larger are there any other differences between a Big foot and a Non Big Foot engine, Like say the Powerhead? Sadly, I believe this motor has a knock, although I'm not certain. I never heard it on the Muffs when the seller ran the boat for me, but in the water something doesn't sound right about it. The motor is strong as an Ox and pushes that 20 foot Pontoon to 22mph (GPS) and runs right up to 5,500 rpm quickly. If I have to buy or have the power head rebuild I'm still not going to be upset as we love the boat and didn't break the bank buying it. Mercury doesn't offer a Reman'd powerhead for a "Big foot". I keep seeing listings for a "Baby L3" whatever that is. Anyway thank you in advance for your thoughts and advice.

You have a standard 60hp "Baby L3" on a bigfoot mid section...Check your RPM as these motors if lugged will cause the sleeve to slip and crankshaft web to contact it. If this slips to much the ring will fall behind sleeve and lock it up. I pin these in place during my rebuilds.

Oh ok I see. So is it ok to run at part throttle? I've had this boat out twice and I like cruising about 15 mph which is about half throttle. Just doing my homework as I'm most likely gonna have it rebuilt, then she should last us a long time.

Have the rebuilder make sure sleeve have not slipped or turned. Have them pin in place..drill hole, use set screw, epoxy over screw/hole and repaint.

Enjoyed the talk with you today Shawn....... And the culprit is....(drumroll)
Mud dabbers in intake. To others reading along.....This is why a compression test is worthless other than to see if cylinder can support combustion. Seen plenty of motors with good compression and be damaged.

Alan

Last edited:
Back