Logo

1996 Johnson 50hp Won't Start

benemaloney

Hello

Me and a mate are trying to get this 1996 Johnson 50 outboard going but have run into some troubles. Any help/or information or links to information is appreciated, I'm finding it hard to Google stuff about it.

It is a BJ50TLEDS, the last time it was going was around 6-7 years ago when it was running they had problems of it not starting again when out on the water.
Now it will not start at all.

The engine turns over well and there is a good tell tale.
We have replaced the spark plugs with new BPR6HS ones but only the bottom cylinder sparks, we tested this by taking the plug out, connecting it to the spark lead, ground the plug and then cranking the engine. We cleaned all the leads and connections we could see but this didn't fix the problem.

I also recently discovered that this engine has a VRO, I couldn't find an internal oil tank so I am guessing we should have a sperate one and this should attach to the hose connection thing under the main fuel connection. Is this right? We have just been trying to start it on 50:1 premix, this is what they used to used and he says it worked fine (except the not starting sometimes issue).

Any help is appreciated, please ask more questions if you need more info.

TLDR: 96 Johnson 50hp won't start and only the bottom cylinder sparks.

Thanks

--Pushing the key in opens an electric VALVE.-----It puts fuel directly into the airstream going through the carburetor.----Makes for near instant starts.----Does spark jump a gap of 3/8" on both leads using a test device , yes or no?----Make sure battery is fully charged and load tested.

--Pushing the key in opens an electric VALVE.-----It puts fuel directly into the airstream going through the carburetor.----Makes for near instant starts.----Does spark jump a gap of 3/8" on both leads using a test device , yes or no?----Make sure battery is fully charged and load tested.
What kind of test device do I need to test the spark jump?
Battery is brand new so there shouldn't be any problems there.

Just 2 pieces of wire , glue , carboard and you can make a test device.----Glue wires to carboard with 3/8" gap between them.

Back