Logo

1996 Johnson 130 tilt trim issue

Trim works fine on motor switch. The trim only works on down switch at throttle. Up doesn't work.

i have changed both relays and cleaned connections inside junction box. I don't know what else to do.

Any suggestions?

Check all the wires going to the throttle. If that fails, replace the switch as OMC had problems with them.

IMG_0030.jpgI cleaned all these connections and the up trim still doesn't work.

The back of the connections that connect into the relays both have a heavy tar type of substance on the back of them. Is this a common thing?

last time i checked the only way i could get that switch was to buy the cable assy for around 130 bucks..the switch is a ww1 design...a real piece of crap...it can be taken apart and the green corrosion cleaned out if you are a watch maker or very lucky and dont lose the little parts..another thing to be careful of is the switch us mounted with a screw into a piece if plastic that is easily broken if you over tighten the screw...if that happens there is no way i could come up with to fix it...ended up mounting a switch on the console..good luck...

Ok, I found the issue...I jumped the red wire to the blue wire just below the switch and got nothing...I therefore thought the issue was somewhere down the line...Then I jumped the switch at the first plug below the throttle control switch...trim up worked fine...so I assumed it was the connection between the first plug and the switch...I started tugging on the blue wire from the switch and joila! The blue wire was cut(for no apparent reason and not spliced...It was actually in the arm of the throttle control so I would have had no way of knowing...anyway...spliced a new line down to the first plug and I am in business...Cheap fix but time consuming...I appreciate all the help!

Back