Logo

1996 Johnson 115 bogging on acceleration

FlatsStalker

Ok so I haven't ran the boat in about 3 months. Ran fine last time we had it out. I started it up yesterday on the muffs and when I hit the throttle link at the carbs it bogs and coughs. If I ease into it it'll rev up and as long as the rpms are still high I can rev up no issues bit as soon as it returns to normal rpm and I hit it it bogs down again and will sometimes shut off. I pulled all 4 carbs and cleaned and blew out with compressed air, no better. I connected to aux tank, no better. I took vro apart diaphragms looked good. I checked engine filter and blew it out with carb cleaner it was pretty clean. I did notice that the primer solenoid leaks around the red lever when the key is pressed.. I ordered the rebuild with new, base and lever and gasket, but could this be the culprit? Maybe sucking air there? I changed power pack back in December and had it out like 3 times since, due to the harness was chafed bare and shorting out. Engine is the OIS. Ran like a champ until now. Any other ideas?

the primer solenoid could be your culprit. if it is leaking gas outward when you hold the key in, that means it could be sucking air when the key is not pushed in. My next guess would be to pull the carbs, clean them properly and put new kits in them.

It will bog as there is no spark advance when you just operate throttle arm...60° motors are picky for this.

Back