Logo

1996 Evinrude 50Hp 2-stroke - Down tilt not working

McFly

I have a 1996 Evinrude 50hp 2 stroke. Earlier this summer the down side of the power tilt stopped working. After swapping around the relays, it started working again, so I thought I had found the culprit, until I swapped them back, and it CONTINUED to work. Shortly thereafter it stopped working again. I ordered new relays and got the same result, no down tilt.

Both the throttle switch and the switch on the motor work for the up function. Only a "click" is heard when pressing the down button from either location. The tilt motor works fine on the up side, so I don't think it's a fluid issue. The clicking I can hear coming from the relay leads me to believe that the relay is working fine, but there must be another electrical issue that I'm missing. I've by been lowering the motor by releasing pressure with the screw, not ideal.

I have the manual but it covers so many models and years that it is hard to follow. Can anyone suggest a trouble shooting method or some other things to try?

Thanks!

- Mike

1976 Whaler 15
1996 Evinrude 50 SPL

Evinrude 50hp 2 stroke.jpg

The wiring between relay and motor? I know polarity is simply reversed, but these wires are moving and exposed to the elements.

The wiring between relay and motor? I know polarity is simply reversed, but these wires are moving and exposed to the elements.

Yes, most likely the wiring harness. But not sure I have the multi meter skills to figure it out. Suggestions?

When the down button is pushed, the down relay is energized and connects the positive side of the battery to the tilt motor through it's normally open contact. The circuit is completed through the normally closed contact of the up relay to the battery negative. It is possible for down to not work because the up relay normally closed relay is defective.

When the down button is pushed, the down relay is energized and connects the positive side of the battery to the tilt motor through it's normally open contact. The circuit is completed through the normally closed contact of the up relay to the battery negative. It is possible for down to not work because the up relay normally closed relay is defective.

I have replaced BOTH relays. Same result. Any idea of what else I can check?

What did I just tell you on the other thread? Same thing....SMH.

Originally, via post #1 (Up okay.. Down not okay)... All you did was switch the relays and you state "It started working again"... BUT... you don't say if the situation reversed itself (Down okay.. Up not okay) OR if both (down & Up) were okay (temporarily).

However, since all you touched in order to have the unit work normally was the relay section, and now you have "new" relays.... I would assume that there is a bad connection somewhere in that area.

The electric motor..... The electric motor has but two wires leading to it indicating it is a dual polarity motor, meaning if it works/runs in one direction, it'll work in the opposite direction.

I'd be interested in what Daselbee had to say elsewhere.

Joe, thanks for the reply. Yeah, I have two postings on this topic, gets confusing. Anyway, to clarify, when I swapped out the relays last summer, there was no improvement. Same problem existed, up switch energized the motor, down did nothing. I can however hear and feel some clicking in the relays themselves when I engage the down switch.

Here is Daselbee's suggestion:

"You are gonna find that one of the grounds at the relay sockets is open. If down does not work, the up ground is open, and vice versa.
Probably an open solder joint on the board that the relay sockets are mounted to. (if it has such a board...)

Best to pull both relays, and disconnect the PTT motor, then wade in with an ohmmeter."

So now I will dig in to the relay socket area and see if anything is easily removed and replaced. Not sure I would know what I am doing with the Ohm setting of the multi-meter in order to really trouble shoot the relays or the relay sockets. Hoping there is an obvious issue, like a broken solder or something.

Thanks again for any ideas/tips.

Mike

Back