Logo

1996 Evinrude 115 loss of power while accelerating

I have cleaned and put new kits in carbs, installed new 2 stage fuel pump (non-VRO). Has a new fuel line with primer bulb. Tried running off portable tank. Check timing. did a complete sync and link. Has a new fuel filter. New spark Plugs. Spark test shows good spark on all 4 cylinders. This thing is kicking my butt, and I am running out of ideas as to why it will not come up on a plane while accelerating. I have looked for loose hoses, put a new primer solenoid kit on it, and nothing seems to fix the problem. Gas is new, engine is mounted properly at the correct height. hub in prop is good, it just will not gain RPM's after about 2500. Any Suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Compression on all 4 cylinders is 120-125.

I have cleaned and put new kits in carbs, installed new 2 stage fuel pump (non-VRO). Has a new fuel line with primer bulb. Tried running off portable tank. Check timing. did a complete sync and link. Has a new fuel filter. New spark Plugs. Spark test shows good spark on all 4 cylinders. This thing is kicking my butt, and I am running out of ideas as to why it will not come up on a plane while accelerating. I have looked for loose hoses, put a new primer solenoid kit on it, and nothing seems to fix the problem. Gas is new, engine is mounted properly at the correct height. hub in prop is good, it just will not gain RPM's after about 2500. Any Suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Compression on all 4 cylinders is 120-125.
I have the same issue, misfires under load at around 3500 rpm. I replaced all the fuel lines, needed to anyway, carbs etc. It has to be an electrical issue, coil packs & wires are my next change out. I also am replacing the ignition switch, the kill switch no longer works so maybe the switch itself is causing issues. Would love some input from others in the know

I have the same issue, misfires under load at around 3500 rpm. I replaced all the fuel lines, needed to anyway, carbs etc. It has to be an electrical issue, coil packs & wires are my next change out. I also am replacing the ignition switch, the kill switch no longer works so maybe the switch itself is causing issues. Would love some input from others in the know

You need an adjustable spark gap tester. Make sure all 4 plug wires can crate a spark that can jump about 7/16". When you cleaned the carbs, did you focus on the main "high speed" jet in the bottom of the carb bowl? See attached linc to view carb diagram. High speed jet is #13. One on each side of the carb bowl. When you had carbs apart did you check to make sure floats actually float? Just throw them in a bowl of water to make sure. Did you adjust the float height to specifications? If you suspect fuel pump, have someone pump the primer bulb while trying to accellerate. If that helps, you have a bad fuel pump. Checking the spark to see if it can bridge that gap, it should show that ignition is providing sufficient spark to operate at wide open throttle.

What led up to the problem, was it in storage? Hit something? Its important to know the events that led to the problem. Otherwise we are "punching the wind".

Start your own thread

When’s the last time you serviced and inspected the lower unit? Was there any metal on the plug or in the lube? If there’s bad enough obstruction around the prop shaft it will make the motor work harder.
Or if the right thing internally is wrong.
Just some thought.

You need an adjustable spark gap tester. Make sure all 4 plug wires can crate a spark that can jump about 7/16". When you cleaned the carbs, did you focus on the main "high speed" jet in the bottom of the carb bowl? See attached linc to view carb diagram. High speed jet is #13. One on each side of the carb bowl. When you had carbs apart did you check to make sure floats actually float? Just throw them in a bowl of water to make sure. Did you adjust the float height to specifications? If you suspect fuel pump, have someone pump the primer bulb while trying to accellerate. If that helps, you have a bad fuel pump. Checking the spark to see if it can bridge that gap, it should show that ignition is providing sufficient spark to operate at wide open throttle.

Thank you for the link sir, you made my day weekend. I appreciate you. Because me and my friends are going on vacation on my boat for a week this weekend. As a college student, I found the "Bridge" essay examples on this https://writinguniverse.com/free-essay-examples/bridge/ page to be an enlightening resource. These essays, spanning topics from civil engineering to poetry, offer a diverse perspective on the concept of bridges. They are not only informative but also thought-provoking, revealing the many ways in which bridges symbolize connections and progress.
Thank you for the link sir, you made my day weekend. I appreciate you.

Back