Logo

1996 90HP Johnson 2-stroke cranks but won't start

Bigfoot100

Hello - We have a 1996 Johnson 2-stroke outboard, Model Number J90ELEDR. It was running fine last summer, and we replaced the plugs near the end of the season. Haven't been able to get it started this year. We installed a fresh battery, and it cranks strongly but doesn't start.

I would love some troubleshooting advice. I'm not intimately familiar with these engines, but I did remove the brass carburetor screws and saw (and smelled) oily gas come out of each.

Any advice? Thanks in advance!

Flush the carburetors.------And try starting again.----Running with VRO ( tested ) or mixing at 50:1 in the tank ?------If VRO is in service perhaps check venting of oil tank.

Thank you Racerone. Does "flush the carburetors" mean pull the brass screws and let the fluid that's in there drain out? Or is there more to it than that?

I had to google "VRO" (sorry, I'm a newbie), but I believe we have that. There is a separate oil tank with its own primer bulb, so the oil and gas are getting mixed automatically. I will look for a vent on the oil tank.

Yes. And we push the button and raise the throttle lever up. We crank for ~5 seconds at a time. Not sure if it's ok to keep cranking longer than that.

Lanyard switch in the correct position ?----Have you tested the electric primer valve ?----Should click and spray fuel out of the small lines when cranking.

We don't have a lanyard switch (that I know of).

I have not tested the electric primer valve. I will google that and come back here if I can't figure it out. Thanks!

Ok, just got back to the boat today. I bought an in-line spark tester, so I'm bringing that down to the dock too. My plan, based on your advice is to:
1. Check that we're getting spark
2. Check the electric primer valve
3. Drain the carbs via the brass screws.
4. Replace the brass screws and prime with fuel.
5. Try starting again.

Sound good? I will report back.

Back