Logo

1996 9.9 4 stroke (305) misfires after 15-20 minutes and won’t accelerate.

Mikalkc

I have heard these engines are hard on ignition components but here is the story. Last fall, difficult to start. (Previously no problem) This spring it won’t start at all. Went thru the typical fuel, spark, air routine cleaned the carb, changed plugs, etc. No luck an occasional fire other than that no go. Had a “professional” look at it he said it didn’t have spark, hmm I had just done a test with a spark gap tester and it would jump the full 3/8” gap per specs. I hesitated to have them do anything since power packs are fairly spendy. I finally broke down and got one myself replaced it and zoom no problems starting. Figured ha there you go only $300 dollars later! Not so fast, we typically putt putt around as this outboard is on the tender so at first I didn’t evidently run it long enough. It seems to be heat related since if you run at WOT (it jumps right out BTW) will only go for 15 minutes at trolling speed it’s about 20. It bangs and pops but stays running it won’t go beyond a fast idle tho. If you shut it down it starts right up first pull idles for a minute or two then starts running rough again. Let it set for an hour and your good for 15-20 minutes again. I changed plugs ( and regapped) changed fuel cans, and lastly changed the coil no luck.

So so anyone have any ideas? This is a pull start engine that has a simple ignition system stator, power pack, coil, wires, plugs, but since OMC went flop a few years ago specialized parts for it are getting expensive and hard to find.

Back