Logo

1996 350 XL riser and popping questions

utilityman

"Hello, Our raw water cooled C

"Hello, Our raw water cooled Crusader 350 XL's have around 800 hours on them and the risers have never been changed. The first half of this boat's life was in a fresh water lake in Michigan, and since 2001 it's been kept in a deep water canal in Florida.

I have religiously been using a fresh water flush and salt-away ever since it has been in Florida. I have been told by friends that I am seriously overdue for servicing the risers. I'm not sure exactly what that means. Should I be looking to replace the manifolds, spacers and elbows, or just certain parts? Is there a kit that I should be looking for? I have the maintenance manual wich eplains how to R&R everything, but doesn't address answer these questions.

A while back I check the temperature of the risers with an infrared laser thermometer. I don't remember what the temps were, but three were the same temerature and one "riser" on the starboard engine, port side was 10 degrees hotter. Is this any indication of a problem?

Lastly, On our last 4 hour cruise down the intracoastal, we were traveling on plane at around 3,400 RPM, when I heard inconsistant banging or popping sounds. Kinda like when a cabinet door smacks closed. We checked around and it sounded like it was coming from my port engine. We slowed down to check it out and the sound stopped. We came back on plane then about a half hour later it started again. There was no apparent change in engine performance, but as soon as I slowed down it stopped agian. Everything appears to be operating OK. Short stints up on plane after that didn't recreate the problem. We mostly have no-wake zones in our area, and I never heard this sound before. We haven't had the boat out for an extended run since then, but I am concerned that I should do something about the problem before taking it on a long trip again. The best I've been able to come up with is the possibility that the carburator is backfiring a bit (holly dual feed 4 barrel). I've had some problems with this engine stalling when warm, usually as I'm trying to back into a slip with a strong current and a stiff wind. I'm thinking I should send the carburator out for rebuilding (last done in 2002, 300 hours ago), but the engine appears to be otherwise running great. Fuel use is the same on both engines, both start up the same and WOT is right around 4,200 for both.

TIA for your comments, I'll be glad to add any other information that might help."

"The popping is probably due t

"The popping is probably due to water in the gas--mine does that if I don't drain the water separators. I wouldn't worry about a 10 ' higher temperature, but I would definitely get those old manifolds and risers OFF those engines soon as I could. (And change everything, not just one part.) Those engines are famous for sucking water in through the exhaust, so dont risk it!

Jeff"

"Thanks Jeff,
I'll clear

"Thanks Jeff,
I'll clear the seperators, replace the fuel filters and throw in some dry-gas and see if that solves the popping problem before doing anything more drastic.

I'll get started on replaceing the manifolds, spacers and elbos as a package. I couldn't seem to find the right parts on the Marinengine web site. Could you direct me to where I should be looking for these parts?
Thanks again
Ron"

Back