Logo

1996 130 hp shuts off under load??

boatdock2

So i have a 1996 Evinrude 130 V4 model# E130TLEDM serial# G04186442
I have replaced the VRO and plugs fuel filter vaor check valves and here in lies the problem.
Hooked to a fresh water flusher runs great, take it to the water and it starts out great until you go to throttle. from about half throttle if you go towarsds full throttle it just like shuts off? Tried it 2 days ago and it ran pretty good for about a half hour. Then idled at the dock for 15 minutes took it out and started to give it throttle and coughed then bamm shut down?? Driving me crazy, could it be the power pack or sensor coil??
Thanks again guys for any help!!:confused:

Re: 1996 130 shuts off under load??

one of the head temperature switches is malfuctioning. it is causing the S.L.O.W. circuit to limit engine speed. the OMC manual shows how to test the switches to fine out which is bad. My 120 V4 had the same problem. I thought is was a fuel restriction at first .. tried running on a portable tank , etc.

try running the outboard until it begins to bog down , then turn off the ignition switch. Wait until the temp. cools to 162. degrees. Then try to throttle up again. If it does the same bog down , then the test confirms the head temperature switches , starboard or port , or both could be malfunctioning.

It definately shuts off and won't start right back up, so it could very well be going into slow mode. We had the air silencer off, the other day and when it happened the fuel just quit at the carbs!

When it shut off did you check for spark? When it shut down what did the fuel ball look like? Was it round or was it flat like a pancake?

Slow mode does not shut the engine down. A faulty power pack will cause this problem but we need to eliminate all other possibilities first.

Fuel bulb was firm and round even tried a outside tank, you are the 2nd person that asked if there's spark right after it shuts off? Have not tried that yet? Was going to run the sensor coil check tomorrow? But with it intermitent? Can't find a specific test for the power pack in the manual? Boat came from Reno Nv. which is higher altitude than the Bay Area of Ca. but that would just cause a lean situation from the jets, correct? Not shut off? How about some kind of interrupter micro somewhere? Like neutral safety? I'm pulling my hair out on this one! THANKS FOR THE SUGGESTIONS! Please keep them coming!

The Neutral safety switch does not cut power to the ignition only to the starter. If the lanyard switch is still in use I would temporarily bypass that to remove it from the equation. A test you can do is to apply a heat gun to the power pack while running the engine at idle. Warm it carefully and not too much. Some times they fail intermittently while hot. If you heat the pack and it dies, there is the answer. Also, What condition are the ignition coils in?

Last edited:
Well while looking to replace the power pack I happen to notice the black ground wire was flat and discolored in a few places.
So I gave it a tug and it came apart! So tomorrow I'm going to solder on a new lead and re-connect,then take it out for a ride. I'm sure hoping this will fix it!
Thanks for all the advice! I truly appreciate it!

Also check the signal wire ends off the powerpack where they connect to the coils. Pull lightly on the rubber boot and see if the wire has rotted in the shielding. This will cause intermittent spark.

Back