Logo

1996 115hp v4 looper

zing

I did a bad thing, turned off the battery switch before turning off the motor. Now the tach shows 4000rpm. I remember reading that this frys some resistors. Do I need to replace the stator or regulator/rectifier? I forget which one gets cooked, hopefully not both.

Are you saying:

The tachometer stays at the 4000 rpm reading if the engine is turned OFF or running. That is, it doesn't move at all, like it is frozen there.

Or are you saying:

The tachometer drops to zero like it should when the key is turned to the ON position, and operates fine until it gets to the 4000 rpm mark where it will go no further than the 4000 rpm mark.

Joe,
It's just stuck at 4500 actually. Key on/off running or not, I don't have it in the water so can't say it wouldn't go up to 5000 at wot.

I thought there was someting about the diodes or resistors in the regulator/rectifier getting fried if there was an open circuit.

This is a 60degree optical ignition engine.

I'm not familiar with the engine's design... BUT... when the key is turned to the ON position, 12 volts is applied to the tachometer which causes the tachometer to drop to the zero mark.

Check to see that voltage is indeed being applied as above, and that the tachometer ground hasn't been disturbed.

I replaced the regulator/rectifier, didn't fix the tach, my bad for troubleshooting with parts. I think the tach is shot as the black and purple give a good 12.4v dc if I turn the key but don't crank. I put the muffs on this morning and the tach when up to 5100 while at idle.
This tach has the 4 lights for no oil/overheat/check engine/low oil - that's all working. If I run it without the tach working properly will that cause any problem with the powerhead or electrical system. I was going to assume the tach is bad but don't know if a way to test the gray output lead that drives the tach.

Back