Logo

1995 mercury cranking after repairs

zash

1995 mercury 75hp. I replaced the thermostat, poppet diaphram, and gasket.
I had broke off one of the bolts to the thermostat housing so I drilled it out.
When I drilled it out the bolt, I drilled too deep before I could stop the drill motor.
So I removed the exhaust plate and baffle to see the damage( which took me two weeks of tapping on bolts to break them loose).
turns out it just drilled into the bottom of a bolt hole for the exhaust plate.
now after replacing the gaskets and bolts and going to work it has been about 3 weeks or more,
The battery was too dead to turn over motor to crank it and would not charge good enough to crank it
after I put it all back together.
Then I bought a new battery and motor dont even want to turn.
I can here a click like a starter relay but thats all it does, the starter aint even trying. What
may could have happened? What wires should I investigate? Everything looks to be tight

Either the solenoid is tired of the starter is. First use a screwdriver to short the two fat studs on the top of the solenoid to see if the starter will spin. You can also use a jumper cable direct between the battery positive cable to the positive stud on the starter...if it spins the solenoid is toast. If it does nothing then the starter needs serviced.

Its really odd that this would happen just as i replaced the thremostat. The motor was fine last time I took it out.

I got home from work this morning and put a meter on the cables.
the positive cable from battery shows 9 ohms.
the negative cable shows .01 ohms.
I cut a scrap piece of 8awg and jumped it across from relay to starter
and the starter spun. I think my positive cable has just broken down.
ill pick up a piece of 2awg welding wire today on my way to work and build another
cable. And go from there.
what are the two relays above the starter relay for?

Yep! I replaced the positive baterry cable and it starts so much faster now its amazing..
the wire that was on it turned out to be #4 gauge. I put #2 gauge on it last night and sealed it with liquid electrical tape. Maybe I'll never see that issue again

Back