Logo

1995 Mercury 50hp 4cyl

Colt251

I have this motor on a 16ft Carolina skiff, and I’ve done just about everything I can think of besides changing the stator and the head gaskets. New water pump, I’ve checked compression, (125-130 on all four cylinders) I’ve changed all the fuel lines, cleaned the gas tank, rebuilt the carbs, new coil packs, new spark plugs, but it seems like every time I get on plane at WOT for about 5-10mins it starts to slug up and die off. And my thought process is one of two things. The stator is getting hot and killing a cylinder or the head gasket is expanding creating extra heat and puts the motor in limp mode. I figure the motor is too old to have a limp mode but I’m not sure. When you hammer down on it after it doesn’t sound like fuel loss but it spits and spudders pretty gently. Any suggestion is great!

Also, upon inspection of the cylinder head it says “Firing order 1324” on the cover. I’ve always had it as 1234. Could this be an issue?

Serial # is ??-----I do not believe this motor has a " head gasket "-----Changed the water pump impeller ?-----Checked for blockage in exhaust housing ?

Serial # is ??-----I do not believe this motor has a " head gasket "-----Changed the water pump impeller ?-----Checked for blockage in exhaust housing ?
I don’t have a serial number for the motor, I’m just going off of part charts. This motor has what’s called a combustion dome. The head gasket would technically be a water seal. When I took the baffle plate off an extremely small amount of water came out. Almost like a water bottle cap amount. Also, I’ve changed the impeller. And having had the foot off, I have taken that exhaust tube off and looked up inside there multiple times.

Back