Logo

1995 Johnson 60hp - No Spark on #1 or #3 cylinders

Lenny 1250

Hello everyone, I am a newby to this forum and I need help before I go crazy. First and foremost I am not a mechanic and don't claim to be one, but I do most of my own repairs on my own stuff when something breaks down, so I have a little bit of knowledge. This though has got me buffaloed. I have a neighbor that used to be a boat mechanic back in the day, but his skills are diminishing due to his health. As described above I have no spark on cylinders 1 and 3. The model number is J60TLEOC. Here's what has been done so far,

Compression test - all 3 cylinders tested at 130
New battery - fully charged
New starter
New timer base (trigger)
New power pack (ignition coil)
New spark plugs and wires

I have a manual and based on the test it says to run (using an ohmn meter, because I don't have any special meters) everything pointed to the power pack according to my neighbor and myself as well. I also have a friend that is a mechanic and he too thought it would be the power pack. The power pack replacement came in today and I installed it and when I checked spark it now has fire to #1 and #2 but still nothing on number 3. All of the coils check out fine as well as all grounds. The only things that haven't been replaced is the stator and the rectifier,. I have tested the stator numerous times according to the manual and it reads as it should. I have not tested it with a volt meter while turning it over. Could it be possible that the stator is not putting out enough current to fire all cylinders? Would the rectifier have anything to do with it not firing on all 3? Any help or suggestions on what to check would be greatly appreciated. Just don't know what else to look at!

UPDATE!!! Unfortunately, no one was able to help me here, so I ended up taking it to the boat shop. Hopefully this may help someone else if you can't seem to get fire. As stated above the timer base and the power pack are both brand new with new connectors on each end. Apparently when I placed the connector in its place, the wires were somehow grounding themselves out. Remember that this happened with the old timer base and power pack as well (hence the reason for replacing them). The boat shop eliminated the plug all together and wired them directly to each other. I tested it when I got it home and it fired right up with all cylinders firing and running well. Hopefully I will be taking it out on the lake tomorrow for the real test. Thanks to everyone for reading my post and trying to help and I hope this may help someone in the future.

Back