Logo

1995 johnson 48hp lower unit

Model # J48esleos. Needing a lower unit. My gear case assembly # 0435280.Looking for a chart / list of all other years of lower units that will work with my engine. Thanks. For any advice.

Only a 1993 and newer will fit.----A 40 / 45 / 48 / 50 hp 2 cylinder.----Shop carefully as these lower units are not robust in my opinion.

Thanks racerone. Helpful information. After doing some reading many people also saying these lower units are not very durable. Also reading that I could use a unit up to 2005. Any thoughts?

Go to boats.net look up the part in question, select that part and scroll down to the bottom and you will find a list of engine models that share the same part.

Boats.net like you said, at the bottom of the page they listed 35hp to 50hp from 1992 to 2004 models. These were all johnson models. They listed each model number also. That is very helpful. Thank you William 01.

A 92 gearcase housing is the same.----But the driveshaft is not.----A 92 complete gearcase will bolt on but it will not work !

Thanks racerone. I greatly respect/appreciate your knowledge and help. I will definitely look for a 1993 or newer. u da man.
just a tip an old OMC tech told me to help these last: its the driveshaft bearing that gets run without oil since its on top below water pump. fill gearcase as normal, but run it for a few minutes or turn the starter over a bunch w. plugs grounded and out. pull top fill plug. you will find it bone dry. get a syringe and fill it the rest of the way up. replace screw. go boating. these things need to be chock full of oil.

Thanks for the reply/update. Agree that it is designed to get oil all the way to the top. I am sure it would not hurt any to check the oil level after running it a bit. Thanks again.

Back