Logo

1995 Johnson 48 spl

Chick

Regular Contributor
I have a 95 model 48 SPL. Got it from a guy. It had not run in a couple years. He had been messing with it, so I know he was having trouble. The bowl was off the top carburetor, and it had brand new spark plugs in it. He told me it had 120 psi compression, but I cannot find my compression gauge to check it, and ordered one. It does seem to have good compression, though. I have had the carburetors apart, and they are clean as a whistle. Took the fuel pump apart and checked the diaphragm, and it is fine. It is getting good fire, that will jump 3/8". When I crank it, it will fire and pop irregularly, but will not run. I took a set of carbs off another 1995 48 I have, cleaned them and stuck them on. The engine does the exact same thing. Does anything come to mind? Thanks!

Or the orange wires from powerpack to coils reversed ??--------Can't see your motor from 1000 miles away.

Not sure how they are arranged. I will take a picture and post it tomorrow. That is a real possibility, as the guy had been messing with the motor, and said something about having changed the powerpack, but, he did not say recently and I assumed that it was years ago. Thanks for that. I have a couple of these motors for parts, in my barn, that I could compare to.

I just got to go out and take a picture. The solid orange wire is on top and the orange wire with the blue stripe, is on the bottom. 0802152213a.jpg

OK, I just went out and looked at this again. The 2 parts motors I have, do have the orange wires different from this one. BUT, I found the tan wire to the power pack, has the pin not connected to anything. I have to think that when I pulled the wire harness out, it pulled loose, because I was getting fire. Wouldn't I not be getting any fire if this pin was not connected? I looked in the book, and they talk about a 3 pin and a 5 pin plug, but it is late and dark, so I will have to figure out where it goes tomorrow. If anyone knows where the pin on the tan wire goes, please give me a clue where to look.

my 87' 48spl has orange /blue on top, and i think the tan wire is part of the over heat alarm, try one thing at a time, switch the coil wires first, the tan wire maybe an extra connection,mine does, with an loose wire the next question is does the alarm work? to test the temp alarm find the temp sensor on the head usually close to the top spark plug, there should be a connection in the wire that comes apart, disconnect and with the key on ground the wire and the alarm should sound

Racerone gets the cigar! I switched the 2 wires on the coil, from the powerpack, and it cranked like a charm! The tan wire seems to be an extra. Can't find anywhere to put it. Now, the next problem. The previous owner, was something else. Somehow, when he pulled the motor from the boat, he broke off the tilt and trim switch and arm, on the shift control box. Then, instead of taking all the wire loose under the dash, he just cut the wires. As my boat had a 1995 50 hp, and this is a 1995 48 hp, I was just going to use the control box on my boat, that has the tilt and trim, and no cut wires. I pulled the wires from the old box, and hooked up my box, and..................nothing. About the time I tried the key and nothing happened, I had to run to town with my wife and it is dark now. If any one has a suggestion, I would appreciate it!

Found a bad connection. It cranks and runs now, but cannot get the trim and tilt to work. Looks like this thing is going to be a jig saw puzzle.

Found the trim motor suffered from the classic brush problem. That was real cute how Johnson made the motor cover with the 3 screws look symmetrical, but in reality, it is not. The cover will only match up the screw holes one way. The starter/alternator shop in town had new springs in stock, for the brushes. oh, and the guy was wrong about the 120 psi compression. I measured 142 psi on both cylinders. OMC hit a home run on this engine, but messed it up with the weak shift dog in the lower unit.

Last edited:
Back