Logo

1995 johnson 130 hp. New Boat owner with a few questions.

busta76205

I bought this boat a few weeks ago and it seems to have a few issues.

1. had some work done on it {minor tune up, new water pump}

took it out yesterday and it took a while to start, would idle then die or die when put into forward. Finally started but i think this may be carb cleanliness issue.

2. bigger issue was that had throttle while in gear down almost all way and not much speed, then when i went a little further it would pick up speed but it would get a little jerky,
{ you could feel the jerkiness in the ride of the boat} any help or info would be great.

I am going to take it back to the mechanic that did the tune up but it ran good before he messed with the timing, I hope he doesn't charge me for what he needs to put back lol

Are you pushing the key in while cranking it over to start ??------------Check gear oil plug in lower unit.---It has a magnet that would hold any metal chunks if there is a gear issue causing the jerking.----------Do a compression test and check that you have spark on all 4 that will jump a gap of 7/16" or better.

Are you pushing the key in while cranking it over to start ??------------Check gear oil plug in lower unit.---It has a magnet that would hold any metal chunks if there is a gear issue causing the jerking.----------Do a compression test and check that you have spark on all 4 that will jump a gap of 7/16" or better.

what i do is for first start of day, i pull up on throttle [ not gear} then push in key and turn i have to let it run for a WHILE then slowly put throttle down and then put in gear
[forward} this took about thirty minutes yesterday cus it kept dieing when put into gear. after first start i just push in key and tunr. it starts usually and works fine, that was before tune up though ,friend said maybe carbs need cleaning or plugs are fowling. just had minor tune up and mechanic said it was running great he changed the timing/linkage. not sure what that means. he also change gear oil in lower unit so i am assuming that would be good. more worried about the fact that when it does go in gear i have to move it sooo far forward to go just a little and then when full throttle it seems like its shaking . you can feel it in the boat plus it seems slower at full throttle now.

Have your mechanic do a compression check and a spark check !----There is no point in standing beside a motor and guessing as to what might be wrong.-----You need to gather the facts about what the motor is doing / not doing.

Have your mechanic do a compression check and a spark check !----There is no point in standing beside a motor and guessing as to what might be wrong.-----You need to gather the facts about what the motor is doing / not doing.

Totally agree. Thx for the input. Not sure if I have found a mechanic I trust yet. This guy seems legit but i need to learn about my boat. He did a minor tune up and changed water pump did everything for 400 (200 for tune up and 200 for water pump change) he siad he changed timing and linkage and gear oil, said spark plugs looked new, i feel like he might have missed something and hope that if I call him and tell him whats going on he will look again with out charging me, he also said he did a compression test and said it was fine. I will call him tomorrow, any tips on knowing if i have a good mechanic?

Totally agree. Thx for the input. Not sure if I have found a mechanic I trust yet. This guy seems legit but i need to learn about my boat. He did a minor tune up and changed water pump did everything for 400 (200 for tune up and 200 for water pump change) he siad he changed timing and linkage and gear oil, said spark plugs looked new, i feel like he might have missed something and hope that if I call him and tell him whats going on he will look again with out charging me, he also said he did a compression test and said it was fine. I will call him tomorrow, any tips on knowing if i have a good mechanic?

talked to mechanic that did tune up. he said comp test was good all were in range of each other. going to have him check for spark and what not.

Back