Logo

199488HPJohnson

D

dkschoonover

" Have 88HP 1994 Johnson. No p

" Have 88HP 1994 Johnson. No power under load, 2000RPM, max.Have replaced plugs,rebuilt carbs, set timing,adjusted linkages. No load RPM, 5000. "

"DK..... In neutral, as you&#3

"DK..... In neutral, as you've observed, the four (4) cylinder engines will rev up to 5000 rpm. This is true even if the engine was running on two (2) cylinders. This is not a good thing to do as the engine is actually free wheeling and you could encounter a runaway engine. This would result in connecting rods being throw out the sides of the engine before you had a chance to shut it down (Really not a good idea!).

First, check the compression. It should be 100+ psi and even on all cylinders. Second, check the spark with the s/plugs removed. The spark should jump a 7/16" gap with a strong blue flame on all cylinders.

If the compression and spark check out okay, then I would suspect that you have either a sticking timer base under the flywheel (retarded timing), or you have overlooked something in the carburetors (you did clean the H/S jets thoroughly?).

The s/plugs should be Champion QL77JC4 or L77JC4 plugs, gapped at .040 .

Joe
"

" If this was a Merc, i would

" If this was a Merc, i would suggest checking the stator, not sure on a Johnson though. "

Back