Logo

1994 OMC 5.8 water drain questions.

GWRivera 220

Ok so I have a new to me GW Rivera 220 deckboat. This one has the OMC 5.8. First question is this the crossover with Volvo design it’s a 94’. Second question does anyone have a useful diagram or explanation of where all of the water drains are for the block and exhaust for winterazation.

Thanks in advance.

Ayuh,..... Stringer drives went away in '85/ '86,....

There will be a drain plug at the bottom of the block, one each side, just above the oil pan, 'n one on the bottom of each exhaust manifold,....
You should also pull the big hose off the circulating water pump, as it tends to hide another qt. of water,...

So if the engine package is a '94 for sure that's a joint venture Cobra which for all practical purposes is the same as a Volvo Penta of the same year.
However, a '94 boat could have a '93 power package, the differences you can see are the joint venture will have an engine mounted impeller and the drive has a hump on top like a Volvo (because it is a Volvo SX). The '93 being pure OMC Cobra, has the impeller in the drive and the top of the outdrive is flat across the top. Both were painted the same OMC charcoal grey.
In addition to what was posted, I would disconnect the hose that goes from the impeller housing to the transom mount at the impeller housing and hold it down to drain it. Then put the outdrive down and hold the hose up and fill it with -100 AF, this will flush water out of the PS cooler that is in line with the raw water intake hose, and will also flush raw water out of the outdrive itself. Re-connect that hose to the impeller housing. Then disconnect the hose that goes from the impeller housing to the thermostat housing at the impeller housing, allow that housing to drain. After it drains, you can reconnect the bottom end of the hose at the impeller housing and disconnect the top end at the thermostat housing. I would then fill that hose with -100 AF, that takes care of any remaining water and also lubes the impeller when you start up in the spring.
You should see if you can find an OMC shop manual for your model #, or a Volvo Shop manual, for that year. I've never read a Volvo manual but the OMC shop manuals and owners manuals were good for DIY maintenance.

manifold drain is the rubber cap on the end of the manifold part #22
you disconnect the bottom end of the large hose #13 to drain the front circulating pump

engine drain is way at the back of the block, part #59 in this diagram, one on each side, remove the petcock and use a small screwdriver or stiff wire to rod out the hole to make sure it drains

P/S cooler is part #41, they usually drain when you disconnect the raw water intake hose because they are mounted close to vertical but I'd still fill the hose with AF.

I also fill the block & manifolds with -100 AF or my mix of Sierra PG antifreeze and water but that's optional. Salt water use requires the best in corrosion control, fresh water a whole nother story. I'm in the Long Island Sound salt pond.

So I think I have a pure OMC cobra out drive. Any major things to look out for the boat has 369 hours and up until storage last year had been maintained yearly at the same mechanic/marina.

Post up a pic of the outdrive then I can say for sure. If that’s what you have the main thing is maintaining the shift system so the shift cable/bellcrank moves easily & and has adequate travel in both Fwd & reverse.
What I do with mine is pull the drive at the end of each season & make sure the bell crank in the pivot housing is well greased and the remote control & cable moves easily in Fwd & rev. If the gasket leaks between the drive & pivot housing leaks water can get in and when it evaporates the deposits cause stiff shifting. Clean that area out, pack that recess with Evinrude triple guard grease. Then coat the gasket on both sides & the sealing surfaces of the drive & pivot housing with Evinrude gasket sealer. This will keep water out & shifting should be smooth into & out of gear.

Back