Logo

1994 Johnson 50 - Idle issue, dies in neutral

I would replace motor as it will fail again or the lower unit will crap out as it on a toon. These motors/lowers will not live under lugging conditions or water sports.

Ah, light bulb going off now. Thanks for the info. Wasn't connecting the dots on the lower unit concerns and motor failure possibilities from it being used on a pontoon.

Do you guys have preferences or recommendations on a replacement brand or type? It's only rated for 75Hp, and I wasn't sure if best to stay with OMC to save the remote controls, or best to just swap brands?

My only other real outboard experience is with a 30Hp Tohatsu/Nissan on my 16ft aluminum fishing boat. I've had it and been around it for years, simply love it! Then it's the question if the boat is even worth much motor investment (cost)...i.e. it's a $1200 - $1500 boat/trailer (without motor). So, it doesn't seem to be worth it to spend much more than that vs. just getting rid of it all and buying another toon already equipped...

thanks again, making me think this is a waste of time/money. I really appreciate you guys insight/input.

Look for a 1988 and up 50/60/70 3 cylinder..bigger cubes,more power,bigger prop, more speed, better handling. I myself just dumped my Junkrude 110Hp and replaced with 1984 150Hp, Used less fuel and picked up 10 MPH pulling grandkids

Update - After doing searching/looking for a replacement (and growing impatient, and also just want to see if I can "fix it", I decided to rebuild it. There is also some sentimental value here as it was my mom/step-dad's boat they've had since new. So, let the games begin... got the .020 over block back yesterday. Concluded it was the lack of maintenance (impeller) that caused the over-heat (top cylinder/top wall), that in-turn scored the piston/wall, and caused the no idle condition. Funny too, while dropping it off at the machine shop, machinist/owner said, "Let me guess...it won't idle, but runs great otherwise? It happens all the time with these...I tell shop mechanics (primarily does dealer work) who call me asking questions - pull the head and check the walls if it won't idle..." So I guess it is common. Preventive maintenance lesson for me going forward, to stay diligent on the impeller replacement.

Attachments

• 20200714_164611.jpg
    20200714_164611.jpg
    377.4 KB · Views: 21
Somebody ran that motor with no cooling water to the impeller.----This seems to be getting more common.---Looked at 2 70 HP motors within the last 2 weeks where impellers were destroyed running dry !!

Back