Logo

1994 Johnson 140 bogging down and feeling gutless

Well, I realized that I can prime it much easier by pointing the outlet of primer bulb skyward. Not a solution to my problem, but nice to know after 3+ years of weekly boating...LOL

Someone on another board mentioned that the pump that I'm using (2 of) 438559 has a hole in the back of the body for a pulse and an inlet fitting for pulse and that it needs to get pulse from both in order to function properly. I thought it was one or the other since this pump is used on my 1976 135hp and it only uses the fitting. In my setup, the back of both is sealed with a gasket. Any thoughts on this?

If You look closely you may find that one pump accepts the pulse hose from crankcase.----Then it feeds the PRESSURE pulse to the other pump via the holes in the back .----Sealed by the gasket.----You did remove the pulse limiter ??

I did not remove the pulse limiter. I've seen a dozen videos on the VRO conversion and heard no mention of that. I have the pulse hose "T"d to feed each pump via the pulse inlet fitting and have the back holes blocked off. Two pumps in series as in the above pic on page 1. With all the attempts/changes I've made to the fueling, it really doesn't run any differently than when I first started. But at least I haven't dropped compression. I check after every run. Can you elaborate on the pulse limiter before I order a power pack?

Thanks Racer, I searched and found your comments on the pulse limiter in multiple threads. I'll swap it out for a plain fitting and see what happens

Well, I promptly busted it off in there flush. So I have an extractor in there and it seems like I'm tightening it as I reverse it. It's not reverse thread is it?

I lost some sleep over that one wondering about having to drill it out, but I was able to torque that sum-b$tch out of there using a five piece tool that I put together out of a backwards (1/4-3/8) socket adapter, 3/4" socket, 1/2" bolt, two nuts tightened on each other. LOL I'll have it back together after I get back from the beach to give it another try.

Seems to run better without the pulse limiter. Still not perfect. But the incidence of bogging is of lower frequency and intensity. When it does burp, it's only dropping 1-2 mph. On another note, I'm only hitting 43 mph, but without ANY bow lift. So I'll probably have to tear up my floor this winter. After i try a Raker prop.

Back