Logo

1994 Evinrude 150 that someone put pop rivets in the calibration screw holes?

Larryn

I have been having problems with my 150 that have been narrowed down to the calibration
ports being dirty...I checked and found that someone had blocked the two screw holes in
each carb with pop rivets. I have photos but have not found a way to put them on this site.
Dare I drill them out? I have a fair machine shop but with aluminium you are never sure
I could use some ideas and if anyone wants some photos I need an email address

Thanks
Larry

JPG picture inserting? Does not the "Quick Reply" block below have a list of small icons at the top of it, the third one from the right being the one to use. If I lay my cursor on top of it, it states "Insert Image"... click on it.

You can also use the "free" Photo Bucket site...... photobucket.com

I look on the carb diagrams and find that at this location I should have calibration ports
but if what you say is correct where are the calibration ports??

Larry

Locate the air bleed jets in the front of the plastic carb body, beside the carb throat.
Use a can of spray carb cleaner with the straw, and put the straw directly in the air bleed jet.
Engine running, shoot at least a whole can of carb cleaner directly in there, rotating around to all six cylinders.
It may clean the cal pockets. It may not.

I assume you have a poor idle. Stalling and lean sneezing.... Is that the issue?

Does your motor have the OIS ignition system if it does have you looked at the OIS sensor the leading cause of crappy idles on these motors. Most welch plugs can be drilled out and replaced

Yes I do have poor idle with stalling etc and I have tried putting a can of spray through the air bleed jets
with no help.
I have ordered a new optical sensor and will put it in as soon as it arrives

Thanks
Larry

Back