Logo

1994 30hp Johnson hard to pullstart

Inze

Hello,

I recently bought a 1994 30hp Johnson outboard. It only has a rope start built in to it. But there is a small problem, when the plugs are in I can't start it. It feels like there is 'too much' compression. I can only pull the rope out one stroke at a time. When the plugs are out I was able to pull the engine around quite easily. I tried a compression test and I still was not able to pull the motor around properly. I tried spraying some WD40 in the cilinders to see if it got any more smooth to pull but no results. I read that there may be a decompression hole besides the regular exhaust holes, so that the compression at low rpm's is a bit less and the engine easier to pullstart. Does anyone know if that is true and that the problem might be plugged holes? Or am I just not pulling hard enough?:rolleyes:

I have had the same issue on my 1978 20hp Johnson. I built a starter motor on it and it works fine now.

Do you guys have any suggestions what the problem might be?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome, sir. These are not easy to pull start by any means....unless your Jack LaLanne. I suggest calling Tim's Outboard in Hackensack MN@ 218 682 2331 and see what it might cost for all the parts needed to create an electric start.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210225-130043_compress19.jpg
    Screenshot_20210225-130043_compress19.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Back