Logo

1994 20hp merc

odie444

hi everyone! having an issue with motor working good to about 3/4 throttle then when i try to go full it starts missing. i retarded,advanced seeing if it would clear up. not sure if its power pack (an scr failing) or high speed part of stator? any thoughts on this?

Have you tried pumping the primer ball when that happens? Disconnect the kill switch? Run with a timing light to see which cylinder is missing. Go to www.cdielectronics.com for.the guide.to test your ignition. No high speed windings in your stator.

Have you tried pumping the primer ball when that happens? Disconnect the kill switch? Run with a timing light to see which cylinder is missing. Go to www.cdielectronics.com for.the guide.to test your ignition. No high speed windings in your stator.
ya i pressed the enrichment button a little to see if it would pick up but started to bog. did not do kill wire, yes i will have to get my cdi electronics book out and do dva testing, what are the 2 coils on stator i thought 1 was low and 1 high?

ya i pressed the enrichment button a little to see if it would pick up but started to bog. did not do kill wire, yes i will have to get my cdi electronics book out and do dva testing, what are the 2 coils on stator i thought 1 was low and 1 high?
Not the primer the bulb in the hose. If you have electric start there is a set of charging coils under the flywheel. If not.you have a driver and a pickup coil.

i did dva on the stator wires increased rpm to 300+ then lost voltage for split second but only high around that 300v. also hooked tach setting to each coil and rpms would increase then drop 50 then raise again, both coils acted the same.

How do the wires look visually heading to trigger and stator. Check trigger resistance between it's wires and while doing that, move throttle from slow speed to fast (WOT). I have seen breaks in conductors within the insulation. This will test for that.

Back