Logo

1993 Johnson 48SPL wiring

"Hello all! I recently bought

"Hello all! I recently bought a 1991 Bass Tracker TX17 with no motor. I finally found a 1993 Johnson 48 SPL to go on the boat but I have one question. On the motor there are two wiring harnesses. A large red one and then a small one with 5 wires. The boat already has the controls on it but they are VRO controls and this motor is not VRO. The boat has the small 5 wire harness like the motor, but on the boat side of the harness two of the wires are just about 2 inches long and have bullet terminals on them so they dead end. The original harness that the motor came off of has all 5 wires and 2 of them don't stub off. Can anyone help me with what these wires are and what I need to do to hook this motor up? I have the original controls that came with the motor but I was hoping to just use the controls that are already in place on the boat. I hope I explained this well enough for you guys to know what I'm talking about. Any information on this would be appreciated!"

"just use the controls that ca

"just use the controls that came with the motor
you may run into problems with the one that is on it,the other harness may be for a trim system.
the short dead end wires may be for a remote trim/tilt switch."

"I guess that's what I&#39

"I guess that's what I'll do. I really hated to do that because the controls that are on the boat are space saver controls and I'm afraid the ones that came with the motor will be in the way. I guess I'll find out. There is a remote tilt/trim switch located at the front of the boat but I would think if the wires were for that they would still be hooked up. Anyway, thanks for the reply."

"Just an update...I finally go

"Just an update...I finally got around to installing the motor on the boat this evening. I just went ahead and used the controls that were already on the boat to see if everything would work properly and it did. Not sure what those 2 stubbed off wires are for but my tilt/trim works on the motor, on the control, and on the front of the boat so I guess i don't need them..lol. Thanks for the replies on this thread!"

Back