Logo

1993 Evinrude VE70TLETS Power Trim

RickJamesBish

The Power Trim from throttle control is not working. It worked prior to taking the engine in for carb rebuild but I did not notice it was not working immediately since it was winterized shortly after and stored. When I did notice I took it back to the mechanic but he stated nothing he did would have caused that. I traced the wire that comes out of the bottom of the throttle control back to the engine and found a 5 pin plug at the end not plugged into anything, nor could I find anything to plug it into. The plug is located just a few inches inside the front corner of the housing.

Any ideas? Am I tracing the wrong wire? If this is the correct plug, then it would appear someone removed the part it plugs into and even if I had that part, I am not sure where the other end would go. The control on the engine itself does work.

And what colors are the wires on this 5 pin plug ??
Wire / Stripe color

Green / White
Red / White
Blue / White
White / Tan Not used. Capped off at a splice halfway back to throttle lever.
Black / White Not used. Capped off at a splice halfway back to throttle lever.

And just to confirm. The wire I traced is the smaller wire coming out of the bottom of the throttle control where it pivots, not the larger wires coming out of the back / side. The mechanic told me that is the wire for the tilt.

Those colors are for the trim tilt and should be plugged in to a rubber boot with identical colors.
Right. As stated there is no other plug/boot . I would have expected it to be in close proximity, or see another boot plug further away that maybe a patch cable went between.

Those colors are for the trim tilt and should be plugged in to a rubber boot with identical colors.
Found it. I knew he had put on a new fuel filter and unplugged some things in the process. The plug was behind the fuel filter. I put my finger behind the filter and felt something rubber but it would not move. He had zipped tied it to other cables were it was concealed and could not be pulled out. I cut the zip tie and was able to pull the boot out. Plugged in and all works!! And he swore up and down that he would not have unplugged anything.

Back